You can do more with your Chromebook when you connect your Android phone. You can:
- Sync chat notifications.
- Share files.
- Send and receive text messages on your Chromebook.
- Connect your Chromebook to your phone network.
- Unlock your Chromebook with your phone.
What you need
- Chrome OS version 71 and up. Learn how to update your Chromebook's operating system.
- Android version 5.1 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
- A Google Account that you’re signed in to, both on your phone and your Chromebook
Important: If you use your Chromebook at work or school, you may not be able to use these features with your phone. For more help, contact your administrator.
Connect your phone during Chromebook setup
When you set up your Chromebook for the first time, you can connect your Android phone by following the steps on the screen.
- When prompted on your Chromebook, select Accept & continue.
- To skip this step, select Cancel. You can opt in any time with these steps.
- Select Done.
- You'll get a confirmation on your phone that Smart Lock is turned on.
Tip: If there are issues with your internet connection, there might be a delay in verifying your connected device. We'll continue to attempt verification, but these features won't be available until you're online.
If you didn't connect your phone to your Chromebook during setup, you can at any time:
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Settings .
- Under "Connected devices," next to "Android phone," select Set up.
- Enter your password and follow the steps. Once completed, you’ll get a confirmation on your phone.
- On your Chromebook, under "Enabled," select which features you want to turn on.
Disconnect your phone
- On your Chromebook, at the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Settings .
- Under "Connected devices," select your phone.
- Turn off features:
- To turn off all features, select Enabled.
- To turn off individual features, select that feature.
Tip: If you don’t want to connect your Chromebook to this phone again, remove it by selecting Forget phone Confirm.
Troubleshoot issues with pairing your phoneI can't connect to a different phone
To pair a new Android phone to your Chromebook, you must first disconnect your current device.
- On your Chromebook, at the bottom right, select the time Settings .
- Under “Connected devices,” select your phone.
- At the bottom, next to “Forget phone,” select Disconnect Confirm.
- Connect your phone to your Chromebook.
If you can’t connect your phone to your Chromebook, or you don’t find the option to connect your phone:
- Check that your phone is on the latest:
- Sign in to the same Google Account on your phone and on your Chromebook.
- If there are multiple entries for your phone, select one. If the phone doesn't connect after a few minutes, forget the phone and try again with another selection.