Recover from a malicious site attack
Sometimes a link or an email will lead to a fraudulent site that locks your Chrome browser. Sites like these, often called "extortion sites" or "malware sites," try to make you believe you have to pay to keep using your computer. This isn't true.
To unlock Chrome and continue using your Chromebook as usual, follow these steps.
- Choose your Chromebook from this list, then follow the instructions to reset your Chromebook hardware.
Note: If your Chromebook isn’t listed, press Refresh + Power on your keyboard.
- Sign in to your Chromebook.
- Open Chrome . A "Restore" window will open.
- In the upper-right corner, click X. The window will close.
Important: Do NOT click Restore. "Restore" will reopen the malicious web page and lock Chrome again.
- Go to a few websites to make sure Chrome is working correctly.
If you follow these steps exactly but Chrome is still locked, recover your Chromebook.
Tip: Use the Internet safely
Find out how to keep your devices and personal information safe when you’re online.