Edit Google Drive documents offline
You can read and edit your saved Google Drive documents when you’re offline. To enable offline mode, connect your Chromebook to the Internet, then follow the steps below.
Enable Google Drive offline
- Open Google Drive either by clicking the Drive icon or by going to drive.google.com while you are online. The sync process will begin automatically.
- Look for a notification at the lower right corner of your screen to see how many of your documents have synced. Remember that you must have at least one saved document stored in Google Drive to use offline.
- After Google Drive is finished syncing, you can access your documents offline. Any edits you make to documents while you are offline will be synced the next time you’re online.
To see a list of the documents you have open in Google Drive, click the Drive icon. If you currently don’t have any Google documents open, clicking the Drive icon will take you to drive.google.com directly.
Disable Google Drive offline
To disable Google Drive offline and remove the files from your Chromebook, follow the steps below:
- Click the apps list button from the shelf, then select the Drive icon.
- Click the gear icon in the upper-right corner and select "Stop using Offline Docs."
Arneil is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help him improve this article by leaving feedback below.