Free up space on your Chromebook
If your Chromebook is running low on disk space, we recommend deleting files you don't need anymore.
Check how much storage is being used
- If you haven’t yet, sign in to your Chromebook.
- Click the status area, where your account picture appears.
- Click Settings .
- In the "Device" section, click Storage management.
Here, you’ll see how much storage space is left on your device, and how much space is being used by:
- Downloads: The files in your Downloads folder
- Offline files: Temporary versions of your Google Drive files saved for offline use
- Browsing data: Information like your browsing history or saved form entries. Learn how to clear browsing data.
- Android storage: Your Android apps and their data
- Other users: The files, apps, and data saved by other people on your Chromebook
Errors you’ll see when you’re running out of space
If you're almost out of disk space, a message will show that says, "Device is low on space: Free up space or select data may be automatically deleted."
You might also have problems with:
- Downloading files
- Loading webpages
- Changing or saving settings, like passwords
- Adding new user accounts to your Chromebook
- Using Android apps
Free up storage space
If your Chromebook is slow or running out of disk space, try the following fixes to free up space:
- Delete files you don’t need from your Chromebook. Remember that you can move files to Google Drive if you want more space.
- Clear your browsing data and download history.
- Uninstall apps you’re not using. Remember, you can always download the app again later.
- Remove any extra user accounts from your Chromebook. Don't worry; the actual Google Account or any information connected to it, like bookmarks, won't be deleted. Only files that are stored on your Chromebook will be deleted.
Remember, if your Chromebook runs low on space, it might automatically delete your downloaded files, browsing data, cache, or unused accounts.
Casey is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.