File types and external devices that work on Chromebooks
Chromebooks can use the following file types, external devices, and peripherals.File types
- Microsoft Office files: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt (read-only), .pptx (read-only). Learn more about viewing and editing Office documents.
- Media: .3gp, .avi, .mov, .mp4, .m4v, .m4a, .mp3, .mkv, .ogv, .ogm, .ogg, .oga, .webm, .wav
- Images: .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .webp
- Compressed files: .zip, .rar
- Other: .txt, .pdf (read-only)
|Container||Video codec||Audio codec|
You can access files on external devices connected to your Chromebook if they use the following types of filesystems:
- FAT (FAT16, FAT32, exFAT)
- HFS+ (read-only on journaled HFS+)
- ISO9660 (read-only)
- MTP (read-only)
- UDF (read-only)
- USB hard drives and thumb drives
- USB CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives (read-only)
Remove a storage device safely by clicking eject .
- MTP devices (read-only)
- USB keyboards (Windows and Mac)
- USB mice with the following features: left button, right button, scrollwheel
- USB hubs
- Certain Bluetooth devices
- Monitors with DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA connections
- USB, DisplayPort, and HDMI audio devices
- Headset with a 3.5 mm jack
- Webcam with a USB cable
- MP3 player or mobile phone with a USB cable (can be used for charging)
- Huawei mobile dongle
Troubleshoot file type and external devicesI get an "Unknown file type" error message when I try to open a file
This means the file type won’t work on your Chromebook at this time. You can try using a web application to view the file. For example, you can upload most documents, presentations, and spreadsheets to Google Drive and view them in your browser.
Discuss with other Chromies in Chromebook Central.
Arneil is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help him improve this article by leaving feedback below.