Supported file types and external devices
Chromebooks supports the following files types, external devices, and peripherals.
Supported file types and codecsFile types
- Microsoft Office files: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt (read-only), .pptx (read-only). Learn more about viewing and editing Office documents.
- Media: .3gp, .avi, .mov, .mp4, .m4v, .m4a, .mp3, .mkv, .ogv, .ogm, .ogg, .oga, .webm, .wav
- Images: .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .webp
- Compressed files: .zip, .rar
- Other: .txt, .pdf (read-only)
|Container||Video codec||Audio codec|
Supported filesystems and external storage devicesFilesystems
You can access files on external devices connected to your Chromebook if they use the following types of filesystems:
- MTP (read-only)
- HFS+ (read-only on journaled HFS+)
- ISO9660 (read-only)
- UDF (read-only)
- USB hard drives and thumb drives
- USB CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives (read-only)
Supported external peripheralsPeripherals
- MTP devices (read-only)
- USB keyboards (Windows and Mac)
- USB mice with the following features: left button, right button, scrollwheel
- USB hubs
- Certain Bluetooth devices
- Monitors with DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA connections
- USB, DisplayPort, and HDMI audio devices
- Headset with a 3.5 mm jack
- Webcam with a USB cable
- MP3 player or mobile phone with a USB cable (can be used for charging)
Troubleshoot problemsI get an "Unknown file type" error message when I try to open a file
The "Unknown file type" error message means that the file format isn't supported on your Chromebook at this time. As a workaround, try using a web application to view the file. For example, you can upload most documents, presentations, and spreadsheets to Google Drive and view them in your browser.
To identify the filesystem for your external device, consult the help manual for that device.
If a peripheral doesn't work with your Chromebook, it may not be supported at this time.
Discuss with other Chromies in Chromebook Central.