Set up your fingerprint
Important: To sign in with your fingerprint, your Chromebook must have a fingerprint reader.
- At the bottom right corner of your screen, select the time.
- Select Settings .
- Under “Security and Privacy,” select Screen lock and sign-in.
- Enter your Chromebook password and select Confirm.
- Under “Edit Fingerprints,” select Set up.
- Select Add Fingerprint and scan your finger with the fingerprint sensor.
- To get a better scan, make sure the sides of your finger also contact the sensor.
- After you get the “Fingerprint added” message, you can:
- Select Add another to set up another fingerprint.
- Select Done to finish.
Delete your fingerprint
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Settings .
- Under "Accounts," select Screen lock.
- Enter your password and select Confirm.
- Next to "Edit fingerprints," select Set up.
- Next to the fingerprint you want to delete, select Delete .
Unlock your Chromebook
- Turn on your Chromebook.
- Place your registered finger on the fingerprint scanner.
- If your fingerprint doesn’t scan, you may need to enter your Chromebook password.
Tip: To get a better scan, place your finger at different angles.
When you need to use your password
You must use your password for the following cases:
- Your Chromebook restarted.
- Your fingerprint sensor doesn’t recognize your fingerprint after a few unsuccessful attempts.
- You switch to another user on the same device.
- After 48 hours for personal Chromebooks.
- After 12 hours for managed Chromebooks.
Sign in to websites and apps
You can use the fingerprint and pin to log in to supported websites or apps. You must set up your fingerprint before you log into websites and apps with your fingerprint.
Common questionsWhere is my fingerprint saved and how secure is it?
Your fingerprint data is stored securely and doesn’t leave your Chromebook. Your fingerprint data isn't shared with Google or any apps on your device. Apps are notified when your fingerprint is verified.
If your Chromebook doesn’t recognize your fingerprint, make sure:
- It’s the same finger you used to save your fingerprint.
- The sides of your finger also touch the sensor.
- Your finger is clean and dry.