Phishing & malware alerts
Google Chrome warns you if the site you're trying to visit is suspected of phishing or malware.
Phishing & malware protection
When phishing and malware detection is turned on you may see the following messages:
- The site ahead contains malware - The site you're trying to visit may install malware on your computer.
- Danger: Malware Ahead! - The web page you're trying to visit may have malware.
- Deceptive site ahead - The site you’re trying to visit is suspected of being a phishing site.
- The site ahead contains harmful programs - The site you're trying to visit may try to trick you into installing programs that harm your browsing experience.
How to turn off phishing & malware protection
The following steps will turn of phishing and malware warnings, as well as download warnings. You and your device will be unprotected from dangerous sites until you turn it back on. Most users don't turn off this protection.
- In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu .
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- Under "Privacy," uncheck the box "Protect you and your device from dangerous sites."
Using a Chromebook at work or school? Your network administrator might configure phishing and malware detection for you, in which case you can't change this setting yourself. Learn about using a managed Chromebook
Learn more about phishing & malware
Phishing is when someone tries to trick you into sharing information, usually through a fake website. Malware refers to harmful or unwanted software that's installed on your computer without your knowledge. Learn how to block pop-ups and unwanted changes to Chrome settings.
To protect you from dangerous websites, Google maintains a list of websites that may put you at risk for malware or phishing. Google also analyzes website content and warns you if a site seems dangerous. Learn more about Google Safe Browsing.
Software developers: If you're a software publisher and your binaries are flagged by Chrome, learn how to resolve malware issues related to your downloads.
Laura is a Google Chrome expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback about the page.