A Progressive Web App (PWA) is an app built for the web that provides an experience similar to a mobile app. PWAs are fast and offer many of the features available on mobile devices. For example, they can work offline and send notifications.
You can use PWAs for a fast web experience on your computer or mobile device. You can install a PWA for faster access and extra functionality, like more storage for content to browse offline.
Tip: Even though PWAs are designed to work offline, some may not fully work without a connection.
Install a PWA
- On your Android device, open Chrome .
- Go to a website with a PWA that you want to install.
- Tap Install.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Uninstall a PWA
- From your app drawer or home screen, open Settings .
- Tap Apps & Notifications See all apps.
- Find the PWA you want to remove and tap the icon.
- Tap Uninstall.
Accept or deny app name updates
You’ll receive app updates from Google Chrome when the app wants to update its name below its icon on your screen.
You can choose whether you want to accept the update or uninstall the app.
Important: When a change is drastic, like a name change to resemble a different app, it might be a malicious change by the developer. If you think that’s the case, uninstall the app.
- To accept the change: Tap OK.
- To uninstall the app: Tap Uninstall app Uninstall OK.