How to use the bookmarks bar
If you're using Chrome on a computer, you can have your bookmarks appear in a bar at the top of every webpage. You can also add, remove, or reorder items in the bookmarks bar at any time.
Show or hide the bookmarks bar
To turn the bookmarks bar on or off, follow these steps:
- In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu .
- Select Bookmarks > Show Bookmarks Bar.
You can also use the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+B (Windows and Chrome OS) and ⌘-Shift-B (Mac).
Organize the bookmarks bar
You can choose which items appear in the bookmarks bar.Add more bookmarks to the bar
You can fit more items in the bookmarks bar by shortening or removing their labels. Here's how:
- Right-click (Windows) or control-click (Mac) the bookmark you'd like edit.
- Select Edit.
- In the "Name" field, type a shorter name. Or delete the name entirely so that only a favicon shows on the bar.
- Click Save.
To move an item in the bookmarks bar, just click and drag it to its new spot.
You can drag a hidden bookmark into the Bookmarks Bar. Here's how:
- At the end of the bar, open the "Other Bookmarks" folder or the overflow area .
- Drag the item into the bookmarks bar.
Note: The "Other Bookmarks" folder can't be deleted. It won’t show if it's empty, though. Even if the folder is hidden you can still add bookmarks to it by using the Bookmark Manager.
To permanently delete a bookmark, follow these steps:
- Right-click (Windows) or control-click (Mac) the bookmark.
- Select Delete.
To delete more than one bookmark at once, use the Bookmark Manager.
Here are a few common questions about the bookmarks bar. Click them for troubleshooting steps.I accidentally deleted a bookmark from the bar. Can I bring it back?
Unfortunately, when a bookmark is deleted it's gone for good.
"Favorites" in some browsers, like Internet Explorer or Safari, are called "bookmarks" in Chrome. In addition to the bookmarks bar, they're stored in two places:
- The bookmarks menu: Chrome menu > Bookmarks
- Bookmark Manager: Chrome menu > Bookmarks > Bookmark Manager
By default, the bookmarks bar shows the Apps icon . It's a shortcut that leads you to the apps you've installed in Chrome. Here's how to remove it:
- Right-click (Windows) or control-click (Mac) the bookmarks bar.
- Deselect Show Apps Shortcut.
To bring the Apps shortcut back, simply follow the steps above and re-select Show Apps Shortcut.
Bookmarks on mobile devices
The bookmarks bar is not available on Chrome for Android or iOS apps. However, there are other ways to manage your bookmarks in Chrome on a mobile device.
You can also sync your bookmarks between devices by signing in to Chrome.
Megan is a Google Chrome expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.