Use less data with Chrome’s Data Saver
With Data Saver, you can lower your phone bill and load web pages faster on slow connections.
How Data Saver works
When you use Data Saver, some of your web traffic may go through Google servers before being downloaded to your device. If the page is loading slowly, Google servers will simplify it so that less data gets downloaded to your device. Most of the time, your pages will look and work the same.
If you're using Data Saver, keep in mind that:
- If you browse in private, Data Saver won’t work.
- Some websites might have trouble finding your location.
- You might not be able to use pages on a local network, like an internal company site.
- You might have trouble with premium data services provided by your carrier. You also might not be able to sign in to your mobile carrier's website.
To see how much data you've saved, at the top right of your browser, click Data Saver .
"Data usage" is the amount of data that was actually used. "Data savings" is how much data was not downloaded to your device due to compression.
Note: Data Saver won’t work on a secure site (addresses that start with https://).
Turn on Data Saver
- Install the Data Saver extension from Chrome Web Store.
- Data Saver should turn on automatically. If it doesn't, at the top right of your browser, click Data Saver .
- Click the checkbox.
Fix problems with data savings
If you see 0% data savings, Data Saver may not be working because Chrome is using another proxy server. To make Data Saver work, turn off the other proxy:
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More .
- Click Settings.
- At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Under the section "System," click Open proxy settings.
- Your computer's settings will open.
- Set your proxy back to the "default or "Automatic proxy configuration".
If you’re using an account through your work or school, your organization might restrict your device's proxy options.
Send feedback about Data Saver
If you're having problems with Data Saver on your computer, you can report the issue.