Adobe PDF plug-in
By default, Chrome uses a built-in PDF viewer to open PDFs. If you've disabled the built-in PDF viewer, Chrome will use Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader to display PDFs. You can also choose to make Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader your default PDF viewer in Chrome. Here's how:
- Enter chrome://plugins into your address bar.
- Scroll down to either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. (You'll only see them if you have them installed.)
- Click the Enable link.
If you're having trouble viewing PDFs with Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader within Chrome, try the following solutions in the order that they're listed:Check if the issue is specific to Chrome.
Try opening PDFs in another browser on your computer, such as Firefox. If you experience similar problems viewing PDFs in another browser, the issue is likely not related to Chrome. Please visit the Adobe support site for additional help.
Follow the instructions below to confirm that either Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat is configured to display PDFs in the browser.
Only one of the programs should be set to preview PDFs in the browser, not both.
- In either Adobe Acrobat or Reader, go to Edit > Preferences.
- Click Internet on the left.
- Select the "Preview PDF in browser" checkbox at the top (may also be called "Display PDF in browser"). If the checkbox is already selected, you may have to deselect it, click OK, then access Preferences again to reselect it.
- Click OK.
- Follow the same steps in the other program, but make sure that the "Preview PDF in browser" checkbox is not selected.
In Acrobat, go to Help > Repair Acrobat Installation. Similarly, in Adobe Reader, go to Help > Repair Adobe Reader Installation.
If you have both Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat installed, they may be conflicting with one another. Try uninstalling one of the programs.
- Use the "Add or Remove Programs" function in your Windows Control Panel to remove either Adobe Reader and Acrobat from your computer.
- Restart your computer after you've completed uninstalling the program.
- Drag either Adobe Reader or Acrobat from the Applications folder to the Trash.
- Remove AdobePDFViewer.plugin from the Library > Internet Plug-Ins folder.
- Follow the steps from the section above to uninstall all versions of these programs.
- Visit http://www.adobe.com/downloads/ to reinstall the latest version of Adobe Acrobat or Reader.
If you're still unable to open PDFs in Chrome after following the suggestions listed above, try searching the Chrome help forum to see additional tips from other Chrome users.