Set up Chrome Browser Cloud Management
3. Set policies for enrolled Chrome Browsers
Applies to Chrome Browsers on Windows, Mac, and Linux (managed via token enrollment).
After you enroll the Chrome Browsers you want to manage, use your Admin console to customize policies.
Set policies for enrolled browsers
Policies you set here apply to all Chrome Browser users, whether or not the user is signed in.
Before you begin: To make settings for a specific group of enrolled Chrome Browsers, put the browsers in an organizational unit.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Devices.
To see Devices, you might have to click More controls at the bottom.
- On the left, click Chrome management.
- Click User & browser settings.
- On the left, select the organization that contains the enrolled browsers you want to make settings for.
For all browsers, select the top-level organization. Otherwise, select a child organization. Learn more
- Make the settings you want. Learn about each setting | See common policy settings
Tip: Quickly find a setting by using the Search bar at the top.
Some settings don't apply to all devices. Click next to a setting for details.
Settings you make for an organizational unit are inherited by browsers in child organizations, unless overridden at a lower level. The Admin console marks whether a setting is Inherited or overridden (marked Locally applied).
- At the bottom, click Save.
Settings typically take effect in minutes. But they might take up to 24 hours to apply for everyone.
Precedence of conflicting policies
If conflicting policies are set at multiple sources:
- Machine-level policies set with your on-premise platform, such as Windows Group Policy, take precedence over enrolled browser policies.
- Enrolled browser policies take precedence over policies set for user accounts. Values don't get merged if the policy is a list.
- To verify that policies are applied, on a user's computer, go to chrome://policy.
For details, see Understand Chrome policy management.
Move browsers to a different organizational unit
When you enroll Chrome browsers in your Admin console, they automatically go in the organizational unit associated with their enrollment token. To apply different settings to a set of Chrome browsers, place them in their own organizational unit. You can then apply settings to just that organizational unit.
From the Admin console Home page, go to DevicesChrome management.
If you don't see Devices on the Home page, click More controls at the bottom.
- Click Managed browsers.
- Check the box next to the browser(s) you want to move.
- At the top, click .
- Choose the organizational unit that you want to move the Chrome browser(s) to.
- Click Move.