For administrators who manage Chrome policies from the Google Admin console.
Supported on ChromeOS 114 and later
As an administrator, you can turn on troubleshooting tools for ChromeOS kiosk devices. Users can then open the tools on their device, using shortcuts, and remotely, using Chrome Remote Desktop. In Chrome Remote Desktop, the tools are available under the Troubleshooting tools section in the Chrome Remote Desktop options panel. For more details, see Access ChromeOS devices remotely.
Troubleshooting tools shortcuts are:
- Developer tools (Shift+Ctrl+i)
- Task manager (Esc+Search)
- Open a new Chrome window (Ctrl+n)
- Switch between opened windows (Alt+Tab and Alt+Shift+Tab)
For security reasons, kiosk troubleshooting tools are turned off by default. Carefully review the following considerations before turning on these tools.
- Do not turn on kiosk troubleshooting tools for the top-level or in-production organizational units. If you do, kiosk end users will have access to all troubleshooting tools.
- Kiosk troubleshooting tools should not be turned on for an organizational unit configured for examinations. If education providers that use ChromeOS kiosk for high stakes examinations turn on the tools, students could be able to compromise the integrity of the exam session.
- To troubleshoot a device without affecting all devices in the same organizational unit:
- Create a child organizational unit.
- Turn on kiosk troubleshooting tools in that organizational unit.
- To save device data and settings, move the device to the child organizational unit.
- Before deploying the device in production, move the device back to the parent organizational unit.
- Turning off kiosk troubleshooting tools automatically restarts the kiosk session.
Enable Kiosk troubleshooting tools
In the Admin console, go to Menu DevicesChromeSettingsDevice settings.
- On the left, select the organizational unit you want to use for troubleshooting or development purposes. Do not select the production organizational unit.
- Go to Kiosk settings.
- Click Kiosk troubleshooting tools.
- Select Enable troubleshooting tools.
- Click Save.