If you don't want to chat with someone in Google Chat, you can block them. You can block direct messages, but you can't block people in group messages or in rooms.
When you block someone:
- If the person you blocked is in your organization, they can still see when you're online.
- The person you blocked can see that they can't send you messages.
- Neither you or the person you blocked can edit your messages to one another.
- The person is also blocked in certain other Google services.
- Open Chat.
- Block a person in one of these ways:
- On the left, next to the person's name, click More Block & Report .
- Select the person, and then at the top, click Down arrow Block & Report .
If the person is in your organization, this option shows only as "Block."
- (Optional) To report the person for abuse, check the Also report box.
- At the confirmation message, click Block.
Links or attachments the person sent before you blocked them are still active. To send the person a message, you need to unblock them.
When you report someone for abuse, a copy of the last 10 messages of your conversation is sent to Google for review.
Other ways to block people
- Open Chat.
- In the Find people, rooms, bots field, enter the person's name or email address.
- Select the person from the suggestions.
- Click Unblock.