You can start a video meeting from Google Chat.
Important: If your organization allows external users to join rooms or group conversations, anyone in the room or group can join a video meeting without permission.
Tip: To make sure you don't join a meeting with an expired code and to better plan for the future meetings you create, check when meeting codes expire. Learn about Google Meet meeting codes.
Start a video meeting from Chat or Gmail
- Open the Chat app or Gmail app .
- Tap Chat or Spaces .
- Open a chat message.
- In the reply area, tap Action menu Meet link Send .
- To join a video meeting, tap Join video meeting Join now.
Tip: To learn more about Meet video meetings, go to the Meet Help Center.
Call someone directly from Chat in Gmail
Important: This feature is only available in the Gmail app. Download the Gmail app from the App Store.
You can start a voice or video call from the Gmail app.
- Open the Gmail app .
- At the bottom, tap Chat .
- Open a 1:1 chat message.
- At the top, click Start voice call or Start video call .
- To end the call, click End call .
Tip: If you call someone who uses the Chat app but doesn’t have the Gmail app:
- Their phone doesn’t ring.
- They receive a Chat notification that you started a voice or video call.