Categories describe your business. They connect you to customers who search for your products or services.
For example, if your primary category is 'Pizza restaurant', Google may show your business in someone’s local search results when they search for
Italian Restaurants, or
Pizza. Your category is one of many factors that affects your local ranking on Google. Learn more about local ranking.
Based on the type of business you operate, your category may also be used to assign a place label to your business.
Choose your category
Choose a primary category that describes your business as a whole, and be specific. When you start to enter your category, choose a category from a drop-down that shows up.
- For example, instead of 'Salon', choose 'Nail salon'.
If the category that you want isn't available, choose a more general category that still accurately describes your business. You can’t create your own category.
To let customers know more about special departments or services, select additional categories. However, don’t add a category for every product or service. Use as few categories as possible to describe your overall core business from the provided list.
- For example, if you manage a grocery shop that includes a pharmacy and deli, choose 'Grocery shop' as your primary category, then add 'Pharmacy' and 'Deli' as additional categories. Learn more about how to choose categories.
If your business includes public departments that are independent from you, they should have their own profiles. Do not add their category to the main profile.
- For example, if your business is a health club that has an independently operated cafe, do not add the category 'Cafe'. Instead, the operator of the cafe can create their own business profile with 'Cafe' as their primary category. Learn more about departments.
Depending on your business category, you may notice special features available for your Business Profile. For example:
Important: If you add or edit one of your existing categories, you may be asked to verify your business again. This helps Google confirm that your business information is accurate.
Add or edit categories on Search and Maps
- Go to your Business Profile. Learn how to find your profile.
- To edit your business info:
- With Google Search, select Edit profile.
- With Google Maps, select Edit profile Business information.
- Under 'About', select Business category.
- To add or edit your primary category: In the 'Primary category' box, enter and select the category from the options that show up.
- To add an additional category: Select Add another category. Then, in the 'Additional category' box, enter and select the category that you want to add.
- Select Save.