Last updated: 4 November 2021
You can use your Business Profile to directly communicate relevant and timely information to your customers. The following policies help make sure that published content, including text, photos and videos, creates a positive experience for customers.
You're responsible for making sure that your posted content complies with all applicable laws and regulations.
We occasionally modify these policies, so please check back here for any updates. We'll provide notice of such changes if required by applicable law.
When an author posts on behalf of a business, their published content should be relevant to the business and help customers better understand the business. Content that's irrelevant to the business or that has no clear association with the business isn't allowed. Refer to our Guidelines for representing your business on Google. You should not use your Business Profile as a forum for general political, social commentary, or personal rants. Content that doesn't meet this standard will be removed.
Content published on this service should not mislead your customers. It should be upfront and honest about the information presented.
Examples of such content that is not allowed include:
- Misspellings, gimmicky character use, gibberish or automated or distracting content (such as blurry or poor image or video quality, or unrecognisable content)
- Images, videos or links that negatively distract the reader's attention
- Links to malware, viruses or other harmful software
- Links to sites irrelevant to the business
- Phishing scams
This service doesn't allow:
- Content that harasses, bullies or is hateful. Published content cannot promote hatred or incite violence against individuals or groups based on ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity. Text, images, videos or links cannot include slurs or derogatory epithets about protected groups. Content cannot be used to harass or bully individuals, including direct physical threats or exposure of private information that could be used to carry out implied threats.
- Content that disparages a person, place or thing, or that would likely make the reader or listener upset or angry.
- Content that contains obscene, profane or offensive language or gestures.
- Content that promotes or encourages violence, or that graphically depicts injuries, abuse of humans or animals or violent acts. Additionally, content that's likely to shock or disgust is not permitted.
- Sexually suggestive or sexually explicit content. Images or video published on this service should not include nudity or sex acts. Content cannot include profanity, slang terms that are sexually graphic and offensive, terms that are common signals for pedophilia, content that promotes pedophilia, bestiality, sexual violence or content that promotes escort services or other services that may be interpreted as providing sexual acts in exchange for compensation. Links to adult content are not permitted.
The privacy of our users is of utmost importance to Google. While you’re welcome to contribute content that illustrates your world, it's critical that you do so in a manner that respects the privacy preferences of others.
- Personal financial information
- Government-issued IDs
- Contact information linked or associated with a name
- Sensitive records or images
- Transcripts or links that contain personal information
- You should not publish photos or videos taken from no-photo zones. Photos and videos from private or publicly inaccessible locations should not be published without the owner's consent.
- Be a good neighbour and do not publish photos or videos in which people are identifiable without their permission. This is particularly important in sensitive locations where people may object to the publication of their image.
- Only incidental depiction of regulated goods is allowed. For example:
- Allowed content (incidental depiction): Video of your restaurant with customers in the background drinking a glass of wine
- Not allowed content: Video entirely dedicated to alcoholic beverages (alcohol as main focus of the video)
You can report privacy-related claims, other than the points listed in this section, using the Copyright or other legal issues tab on the 'Report a problem' feature.
To avoid the risk of abuse, we do not allow your post content to include a phone number. You can make your phone number available on your Business Profile or website.
Instead, you can attach a 'Call now' button to your post that uses your verified Business Profile phone number.
Regulated & illegal content
We do not allow content related to regulated products and services, which include alcohol, tobacco products, gambling, financial services, pharmaceuticals and unapproved supplements or health or medical devices.
Content related to the sale of dangerous and illegal products, services or activities that cause damage, harm or injury is not permitted. Examples include: Recreational drugs, weapons, fireworks and instructions to make explosives, and detailed instructions for or that otherwise encourage criminal activity that would lead to real-world harm.
Do not upload or share content that exploits or abuses children. This includes all child sexual abuse imagery (even cartoon images) and all content that presents children in a sexual manner. We'll remove such content and take appropriate action, which may include disabling accounts and reporting to the National Centre for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) and law enforcement.
We do not permit terrorist organisations to use this service for any purpose, including recruitment. We also strictly prohibit content related to terrorism, such as content that promotes terrorist acts, incites violence or celebrates terrorist attacks. If a business posts terrorism-related content for an educational, documentary, scientific or artistic purpose, they should provide enough information so viewers understand the context.
Do not impersonate an organisation or individual. Do not make false statements about your identity or qualifications, such as falsely claiming to be an authorised representative of a company. Refer to our Guidelines on representing your business on Google.
Do not provide inaccurate depiction of information that omits or obfuscates how your customer will be billed or charged.
All support link campaigns must adhere to the above policies, including the gift card and donation link policies.