Edit and optimize your website
The website builder features some elements that you can edit and some that you can’t. To make the most of your site, tailor your site's content to what potential customers are looking for.
Make sure that you’ve set up your site for the first time before following the instructions below. If you haven’t set up your site yet, learn how to create your site.
To edit your website:
Sign in to Google My Business. If you have two or more locations, click Manage location for the location whose site you want to edit.
- Click Website from the menu.
- In the top left corner of the page, you'll see how many people visited your site. Click the info icon to see more site traffic details.
- Use the panel on the left side of the screen to select which part of your site to edit. When you’re done editing a section, click the done icon .
- Text fields, like "Headline" and "Description"
- Primary button: Choose the main action button you want customers to see. You can preview what a button does by publishing and viewing your site.
- Get directions: This button opens directions to your location in Google Maps.
- Call now: This button prompts a phone call to your business.
- View menu: This button opens a link of your choice.
- Find table: This button opens a link of your choice.
- Place order: This button opens a link of your choice.
- Make appointment: This button opens a link of your choice.
- Message us (SMS): This button sends a SMS message to your phone number. Make sure the number is a mobile phone that can receive SMS messages. Message and data rates may apply.
- Message us (WhatsApp): This button sends a WhatsApp message to your mobile phone number. Make sure you have WhatsApp installed to receive messages.
- Get quote: This button opens a form for customers to inquire about your services. You'll be notified by email when a customer reaches out to you.
- Photos: On the website toolbar, select the Photos button to upload images to the gallery. You can change your cover photo from clicking the "Change cover photo" button in the preview. The cover photo you select for your website will be the same one that appears in your Google My Business listings.
- Business information, including business name, address, hours of operation, phone number, and business category. (Edits to business information won’t appear on Google Maps until your business is verified, though you can still publish your website.)
- Links to external sites, such as for ordering or reservations
Optimize your website
To make your website appealing to customers, consider these best practices:
- Your cover photo will appear when customers find your business on Google, so be sure to select a quality photo that is relevant to your business.
- Photos should be in focus and well-lit.
- Use other photos to show what your business offers, such as your products, services, photos of your team, or location. For example, if you’re a restaurant, you may want to show photos of different kinds of food you prepare and the interior of your restaurant.
- Use the text editor to highlight your products, services, and unique value to customers.
- Your "Headline" should stress your main selling point and invite readers to learn more about your business.
- Use the "Description" and "Summary header" to briefly expand on your unique selling point.
- Use the "Summary body" to offer relevant information. For instance, if you’re a restaurant, you may want to offer a few sample menu items. If you offer a repair or professional service, you may want to explain what kind of jobs you perform and stress qualities such as dependability, response times, experience, or value.
- Also use the "Summary body" to link to other pages, such as an online ordering or reservation system, your Facebook page, or other pages where customers can learn more about your business.
Using the Info item on the side navigation menu, you can enter or change basic business information.
- Make sure it is easy for customers to contact you. Include the hours that you’re open, the correct business address, and the correct contact information.
- Enter any "Amenities," "Highlights," and "Offerings," as well as payment and reservation policies, so customers know more about your business and know how to reserve and pay for your services. These do not appear on your website but are useful to add to your listing.
- You can also include store codes, labels, and an Adwords location extension phone number.
Tip: Use posts, chat, reviews, and other tools to engage with customers