You can play music, videos, and other media on your preferred speaker, Smart Display, or TV without saying the device's name. You can set a default playback device for each speaker, Smart Display, and Smart Clock.
Supported devices for media playback
You can set any device linked to yourself or any home member as a preferred playback device.TVs
- Android TV devices
- TVs with Chromecast built in
- Chromecast Audio
- Speakers with Chromecast built in
- Speakers with Google Assistant
- Smart Displays with Google Assistant
- Lenovo Smart Clock
- To set a default playback device for a speaker, Smart Display, or Smart Clock, you must be a member of the same home as that Google Assistant device. Learn how to manage home members.
- Podcasts and news playbacks are not supported on some speakers and TVs. Instead, they will play locally on your Google Assistant device.
Set a default speaker, Smart Display, or TV
In the Google Home app
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Home app .
- At the bottom, tap Home .
- Select your device.
- At the top right, tap Device settings .
- Choose a default playback device:
- For music and audio: Tap Audio Default music speaker.
- For videos: Tap Display Default TV.
- Select your default playback device.
In the Google Assistant app
- On your Android phone or tablet, say "Hey Google, open Assistant settings."
- Tap Devices your speaker, Smart Display, or Smart Clock.
- Set a default playback device:
- For music and audio: Tap Default music speaker the speaker, Smart Display, or TV.
- For videos: Tap Default TV the Smart Display or TV.
- To reset your default device, tap Reset.
- To play media on a device other than your preferred playback device, say "Hey Google, play [media] on [device].” Learn more voice commands for music, videos, and other media.