Listen to music on your watch without your phone
If your watch has a built-in speaker or is paired with a Bluetooth audio device, you can listen to music on your watch without your phone. Learn how to pair Bluetooth devices like headphones.
If you’re playing music on your phone, you can also control Play Music and other apps from your watch.
Note: We recommend not listening to music at high volumes for long periods of time.
Use Play Music on Android Wear 2.0
Learn how to check your version of Android Wear.
When you sign into Play Music on your watch, you can play any likes, playlists or album purchases you've made with the same Google account. Play Music on Android Wear can't play podcasts at this time.
Tip: If you see this Music App , follow these steps to play music on your watch.
To get started, make sure your watch is connected to Wi-Fi or LTE. If you see Downloaded only on the top of your screen, try these steps to make sure you're connected to a network.
On the side of your watch, press the power button.
- From the list of apps, tap Play Music.
- When you see "Connected", start playing music by tapping any of the Play icons.
- You'll be asked to set up your bluetooth headphones if you haven’t already.
You can listen to any albums or playlists you’ve added to the Play Music Google account. To look for music on a different account, swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Settings . From the Settings screen, scroll down and tap the new profile.
Tip: To get the most out of streaming music, fully charge your watch before you start.
Add music to stream from your watch
Your watch can only play music that is already on your Play Music account. To add music to play on your watch: On your mobile device or computer, create or add to an existing playlist.
Troubleshoot music not playing
If you see Disconnected , or if you’re having trouble streaming music from your watch, make sure your watch is connected:
- If your watch screen is dim, tap it to wake the watch up.
- Starting from the home screen, swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Tap Settings Connectivity.
- Choose or add a new Wi-Fi connection, if you don’t have one already.
Note: When your watch is not connected, you will only see music you've downloaded before.
Download music to listen to offline
If you have paid for a Play Music subscription, purchased music from Play Music, or have uploaded your own music to Play Music, you can listen to music offline. To download music, press and hold the album or playlist.
To remove downloaded music from your watch, touch and hold an album or playlist that you’ve already downloaded.
More you can do with music
Open the song playing
To get back to your Play Music screen: From the home screen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and scroll up until you see the music notification.
Change app settings
To get to the settings menu: When you have the app open, swipe down from the top of the screen, then tap Settings . From here, you can choose:
- Download only Wi-Fi
- Stream only on Wi-Fi
- See "Downloaded only" music
- Your Play Music account
No, sideloading is not supported in this version. To add music to play on your watch: On your mobile device or computer, create or add to an existing playlist.
Note: Music you've downloaded while using Play Music 1.0 will be removed. Please follow the link above to add them to your Play Music locker.
Battery life while streaming varies by watch. We recommend downloading music while your watch is on a charger, and fully charging your watch before you stream music directly via LTE or Wifi.
To save battery life, download music to play offline.
The amount of music your watch can hold varies, but most watches can hold up to 20 hours of Play Music.
Music on Android Wear 1.0 and below
To get music on your watch, you’ll need music downloaded to the Play Music app on your phone.
Get music ready to sync
You’ll need to get music onto your phone in one of the following ways:
- If you’ve purchased from or subscribe to Play Music, you can download your music in the Play Music app.
- You can also upload your own MP3s to your Google account from your computer, then download it to the Play Music app on your phone
- Any MP3s already on your phone can also be synced to Wear.
Play music from your watch
- If your screen is dim, tap the screen to wake up the watch.
- Tap anywhere on the background of the screen.
- Tap Start.
- Scroll down and tap Play .
- Swipe up to view the different playlists, albums, and songs. If you swipe from right to left, you’ll see an option to shuffle. Swipe again and you’ll see a list of all songs.
- Tap on an album, playlist, or song to start listening. While the song is playing, you can swipe from right to left to see playback options.
Remove music from your watch
To remove music from you watch, you'll need your phone nearby. Follow these steps:
- Make sure your watch and phone are connected. On the top of the screen, if you see Disconnected , your watch is offline.
- Open the Google Play Music app then tap Settings.
- Tap to uncheck Download to Android Wear. Your music will be removed from your watch.
Andrea is an Android expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.