Cast content from your device to your Android TV
You can cast movies, TV shows, photos, websites and more to your Android TV’s screen using your phone or tablet.
You can also:
- Cast to your TV from the Chrome browser on your computer.
- Mirror your Android device’s screen on your TV.
Cast content to your TV
- Make sure your phone or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi/home network as your Android TV.
- On your phone, tablet, or laptop, open up an app that supports casting. Below you’ll find a list of apps that work with casting.
- Touch or click the Cast icon .
- Choose the Android TV you’d like to cast to.
- Press play on your phone or tablet. The content should start playing on your Android TV, and the Cast icon on your device will be filled in .
Apps that work with casting
- YouTube app
- Google Play Movies & TV
- Google Play Music
- Google+ Photos
- Other apps
Supported apps vary by country. For more information about available apps in your country, visit g.co/castapps.
Trouble casting to your Android TV
If you can’t cast to your Android TV, follow these troubleshooting steps.
Some Google Cast apps may not support casting to other Android TV devices. If the troubleshooting steps don’t fix the issue, please contact the device manufacturer for more info.
Learn more about casting from supported apps to your TV.
Here are answers to some other questions you may have about casting to your Android TV:How will my Android TV get Google Cast updates?
Google Cast updates are automatically downloaded and installed on your Android TV through the Google Play Store.
You can also check for and install updates manually. If an update is available, you’ll see the Google Cast Receiver app in the Play Store on your Android TV. Select and it follow the onscreen instructions to update. If no update is available, you won’t see the Google Cast Receiver app in the Play Store.
If you’d like to customize the device name that appears in Google Cast, here’s how:
- From the Home screen, scroll down until you reach Settings .
- Select Settings .
- Under “Device,” find and select About .
- Select Device name.
- Select Change.
- Choose from the list of options or enter a custom name.
Your Android TV won’t show up in the the Devices menu on your Chromecast app, but you can still use the Chromecast app to cast your Android screen to your TV.
Andrea is an Android expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.