You can use your phone or tablet to navigate your Android TV with the Android TV Remote Control app.
Use your phone as your remote
Here’s what your remote app can do:
- Back : Go back to the previous screen on your TV.
- Home : Go to the Android TV home screen.
- Play/pause : Pause or resume content.
- Microphone : Use voice commands.
- Keyboard : Use the keyboard on your phone to type on your TV.
Change the remote layout
You can choose from 2 layouts for your remote.
- Standard remote layout (D-pad):
- To move up, down, right, and left: Tap the arrows.
- To select: Tap the center circle.
- Touch-sensitive layout (Touchpad):
- To move up, down, right, and left: Swipe on your phone’s screen.
- To select: Tap anywhere on your phone’s screen.
To change the layout, tap Menu D-pad or Touchpad.
Fix issues with the Remote Control appCan’t connect phone to TV Voice commands don’t work
Make sure the app is allowed to use your phone’s microphone.
- Open your phone’s Settings app.
- Tap Apps & notifications.
- Choose the Android TV Remote Control app .
- If you don’t find it right away, tap See all apps.
- Tap Permissions.
- Turn on Microphone.
To get ideas for what you can say, ask “What can you do?”
- Close the app, then reopen it. Try the app again to see if it works.
- If you still have issues, clear the app’s data. Learn how to clear app data on your Android device. Then, try the app again to see if it works.
- If that doesn’t solve the issue, uninstall the app and reinstall it. Learn how to uninstall apps on your Android device.