My Android TV Remote Control app isn't working
You can control your TV through your phone or tablet with the Android TV Remote Control app . You can connect the app to Android TV through by being on the same Wi-Fi network, or through Bluetooth. Learn how to set up and use the Android TV Remote Control app.
If your remote control app isn’t working, follow these steps. Check the app after each step to see if it starts working.
1. If you’re trying to connect using Wi-Fi, make sure your phone or tablet is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Android TV.
- Your remote control app will only work if it’s on the same Wi-Fi network as your Android TV.
- Learn how to troubleshoot your Wi-Fi connection.
- You can also try turning off your Wi-Fi network’s AP (access point) isolation. Follow the instructions from your router’s manufacturer. AP isolation may also be called “Client Isolation” or “Guest Mode.”
2. If you can't connect using Wi-Fi, try to connect using Bluetooth. Make sure Bluetooth is turned on on your phone.
Here’s how to connect through Bluetooth:
- On your phone, turn on Bluetooth.
- Open the Android TV Remote Control app .
- You’ll see the Wi-Fi error message: “Android TV and this device need to be on the same Wi-Fi network.” Wait a few seconds.
- In the app, you’ll see your Android TV listed. Touch the name.
- On your phone, you’ll see a Bluetooth notification asking you to pair.
- Tap Pair.
3. Restart your Android TV.
- Restart your Nexus Player by unplugging the power cord. Wait 10 seconds. Then plug the power cord back in.
4. Follow app troubleshooting steps.
Here's how to fix an app that isn't working properly.
Andrea is an Android expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.