You can set your device to help prevent others from using it if it gets reset to factory settings without your permission. For example, if your protected device got stolen and erased, only someone with your Google Account or screen lock could use it.
- Add a Google Account on your device: To help prevent other people from using your device if it gets erased, add your Google Account to your device. Learn how to add your Google Account on Android.
- Set a screen lock: To help prevent other people from using or erasing your device, set a screen lock. Learn how to set a screen lock.
Tip: If you don’t have a screen lock set, you might be able to lock your device remotely with Find My Device. Learn how to use Find My Device.
To turn off device protection, remove your Google Account from your device. Learn how to remove accounts.
If you have Developer options turned on, you can also turn off device protection from your device's Settings app. Tap System Developer options OEM unlocking. Then, enter your PIN and tap Enable.
To factory reset a protected device, you'll need to either unlock your screen or enter your Google Account password. This ensures that you or someone you trust is doing the reset.
Expect to unlock your screen or enter Google Account information if you:
- Erase your device's data using the Settings app: You'll be asked to enter your screen lock before you reset.
- Reset your device using its buttons: If you reset your device using its buttons (Recovery mode), you'll need to enter your PIN, password, or pattern. You'll also see an option to use the Google Account that was on your device before you reset it.
- Remotely reset your device with Find My Device: If you remotely reset your device using Find My Device, you'll need to enter a Google username and password associated with the device.
Important: You can sign in with any Google Account previously added and synced to the device as an account or user, but not as a guest. If you can't give this information during setup, you won't be able to use the device at all after factory reset. If you can't sign in to your Google Account, get sign-in help.