If no app is open, your home screen will appear. By default, your main home screen shows the date, weather and a few apps.
- Some of these steps work only on Android 10 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
- Some of these steps require you to touch the screen.
Go to home screen
Depending on your phone, either:
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Home or Home .
On some phones, you can have more than one home screen. Swipe right or left to move between them.
Customise your home screen
Change an app
At the bottom of your screen, you'll find a row of favourite apps.
- Remove a favourite app: From your favourites, touch and hold the app that you'd like to remove. Drag it to another part of the screen.
- Add a favourite app: From the bottom of your screen, swipe up. Touch and hold an app. Move the app into an empty spot with your favourites.
Change other home screen settings
- On your home screen, touch and hold an empty space.
- Tap Home settings.
Search on your home screen
- To type your search, tap Google .
- To speak your search, or to tell your phone to do something, say "Ok Google". You can also tap Assistant . Learn about your Google Assistant.
Turn search bar animations on or off
You'll sometimes find animations in the search bar on your home screen. The animations are temporary for special events, like holidays.
To turn these animations on or off:
- Touch and hold the search bar.
- Tap More Preferences.
- Turn Searchbox effects on or off.