Google Ad Manager reporting
About Google Ad ManagerGoogle Ad Manager is a comprehensive, hosted ad serving platform that streamlines your ad management, whether you deliver ads to websites, mobile webpages, mobile apps, games, or a combination.
MetricsGoogle Ad Manager uses the same metrics as AdSense, so if you’re already familiar with either of those, you’ll feel right at home. If you’re not a metrics expert, no problem. Here’s a quick primer on ten essential metrics to get you started.
- GAM Impressions – An Ad Manager ad impression is reported whenever an individual ad is displayed on your website. For example, if a page with two ad units is viewed once, we'll display two impressions.
- GAM Coverage – Coverage is the percentage of ad requests that returned at least one ad. Generally, coverage can help you identify sites where your Ad Manager account isn't able to provide targeted ads. (Ad Impressions / Total Ad Requests) * 100.
- GAM Monetized Pageviews – Measures the total number of pageviews on your property that were shown with an ad from your linked Ad Manager account. Note - a single page can have multiple ad units.
- GAM Impressions / Session – The ratio of Ad Manager ad impressions to Analytics sessions (Ad Impressions / Analytics Sessions).
- GAM Viewable Impressions % – The percentage of ad impressions that were viewable. An impression is considered a viewable impression when it has appeared within a user’s browser and had the opportunity to be seen.
- GAM Clicks – The number of times Ad Manager ads were clicked on your site.
- GAM CTR – The percentage of Ad Manager impressions that resulted in a click on an ad.
- GAM Revenue – Ad Manager revenue is an estimate of your total ad revenue based on impressions served.
- GAM Revenue / 1000 Sessions – The total estimated revenue from Ad Manager ads per 1000 Analytics sessions. Note that this metric is based on sessions to your site and not ad impressions.
- GAM eCPM – The estimated cost per thousand page views. It is your Ad Manager Revenue per 1000 pageviews.
In addition to the ten standard metrics above, Ad Manager also includes equivalent metrics for Ad Manager backfill ads (AdSense or Ad Exchange) that you may have configured in your Ad Manager network.
Note: The definitive source of information on metrics (and how to use them) can be found in the Dimensions & Metrics reference on the Analytics Developer website. It describes all the dimensions and metrics available through the Core Reporting API.
Viewing your Ad Manager reports in GA
Once you’ve completed the preflight checklist in our Set Up article, you’ll be able to see your Ad Manager data in GA. You’ll find the reports in Analytics > Behavior > Publisher. Available reports include:
- Publisher Pages
- Publisher Referrals
Note: The Google Ad Manager reports found within GA are approximate and intended to be used to identify trends.These reports should not be used for accounting work or financial reconciliation.
All Analytics reports are based on combinations of dimensions and metrics. When viewing your data in a standard Analytics report, the first column you see in the table contains the values for a dimension, and the rest of the columns display the corresponding metrics. You can read more about GA reports in Analytics: Reporting overview.
Publisher Overview report
Use the Overview report to get a high-level summary of key metrics. By default, the graph in the report displays the daily total Ad Manager impressions for your site. Use the graph to compare metrics. The table below lists ten Ad Manager metrics. Click any metric to see the daily values. On the page for that metric, the line graph and bar chart display daily values. Use the Trending menu to display the page for a different metric.
Publisher Pages report
The Pages report provides data about which pages on your site contributed the most Ad Manager impressions. By default, the graph displays the daily total Ad Manager impressions for your site; the table displays total Google Ad Manager metrics for the date range distributed by page.
Publisher Referrers report
The Publishers Referrers report displays the domains that contributed the most Ad Manager impressions to your site. The graph displays the daily total Ad Manager impressions for your site; the table displays total revenue metrics for the date range distributed by referring domain. In the table, click a domain name to see metrics per referring page. Above the table, click the different viewing options to see metrics by source and medium.
We recommend that you read the following articles before diving in: