A cohort is a group of users who share a common characteristic that is identified in this report by an Analytics dimension. For example, all users with the same Acquisition Date belong to the same cohort. The Cohort Analysis report lets you isolate and analyze cohort behavior.In this article:
See cohort data
The Cohort Analysis report is available for properties using Universal Analytics. No changes to the tracking code are necessary.
To see cohort data:
- Sign in to Google Analytics.
- Navigate to your view.
- Open Reports.
- Select Audience > Cohort Analysis.
Ways to use cohort data
Cohort analysis helps you understand the behavior of component groups of users apart from your user population as a whole. Examples of how you can use cohort analysis include:
- Examine individual cohorts to gauge response to short-term marketing efforts like single-day email campaigns.
- See how the behavior and performance of individual groups of users changes day to day, week to week, and month to month, relative to when you acquired those users.
- Organize users into groups based on shared characteristics like Acquisition Date, and then examine the behavior of those groups according to metrics like User Retention or Revenue.