About the Segment Builder
Segments let you isolate and analyze subsets of sessions and users:
- Session data is confined to user behavior within a single session; for example, the goals that users completed during a session, or the amount of revenue they generated during a session.
- User data spans all sessions within the date range you’re using, up to 90 days; for example all the goals users completed or all the revenue they generated (across all sessions) during the date range.
You can create segments based on dimensions, metrics, date, and sequences of action.
Example: specific users, all sessions across a date range
Filter users, no filters on sessions
Only users whose cumulative revenue across all sessions in a date range is greater than $1000; or only users who viewed a product page, then the shopping cart page, but not the confirmation page for having completed the order, across all sessions in a date range.
Example: all users, specific sessions across a date range
No filters on users, filter sessions
All users, but only sessions that were the result of a specific keyword or campaign; or all users, but only sessions that resulted from a specific campaign AND resulted in a goal completion.
Example: specific users, specific sessions across a date range
Filter users, filter sessions
Only users whose cumulative revenue across all sessions is greater than $1000, and only their sessions that resulted in a goal completion; or only users from the southeastern United States, and only their sessions where the medium was cpc.
This new flexibility lets you:
- Maintain and continue to build the kinds of session-based segments you’re used to building in Analytics
- Build new user-based segments so you can analyze user behavior across multiple sessions
- Combine the session- and user-based data when you like
With user-based segments, you can apply a maximum date range of 90 days. If your date range is already set to more than 90 days, then when you create a user-based segment, Analytics resets the date range to 90 days from the start date.
Cohorts (Date of First Session option) are limited to maximum range of 31 days.