About the Segment Builder
Segments let you isolate and analyze subsets of visits and users:
- Visit data is confined to user behavior within a single visit; for example, the goals that users completed during a visit, or the amount of revenue they generated during a visit.
- User data spans all visits within the date range you’re using, up to 90 days; for example all the goals users completed or all the revenue they generated (across all visits) during the date range.
You can create segments based on dimensions, metrics, visit date, and sequences of action.
Example: specific users, all visits across a date range
Filter users, no filters on visits
Only users whose cumulative revenue across all visits in a date range is greater than $1000; or only users who viewed a product page, then the shopping cart page, but not the confirmation page for having completed the order, across all visits in a date range.
Example: all users, specific visits across a date range
No filters on users, filter visits
All users, but only visits that were the result of a specific keyword or campaign; or all users, but only visits that resulted from a specific campaign AND resulted in a goal completion.
Example: specific users, specific visits across a date range
Filter users, filter visits
Only users whose cumulative revenue across all visits is greater than $1000, and only their visits that resulted in a goal completion; or only users from the southeastern United States, and only their visits where the medium was cpc.
This new flexibility lets you:
- Maintain and continue to build the kinds of visit-based segments you’re used to building in Analytics
- Build new user-based segments so you can analyze user behavior across multiple sessions
- Combine the visit- and user-based data when you like
With user-based segments, you can apply a maximum date range of 90 days. If your date range is already set to more than 90 days, then when you create a user-based segment, Analytics resets the date range to 90 days from the start date.
Cohorts (Date of First Visit option) are limited to maximum range of 31 days.