Session and campaign timeout handling
Set how long sessions and campaigns can last.
Sessions and campaigns end after a specific amount of time passes. By default, sessions end after 30 minutes and campaigns end after 6 months. You can change the settings so sessions and campaigns end after the specified amount of time has passed.
The length of a session and campaign depends on your site and business. Here are a few ideas to get you started thinking about session and campaign timeouts:
- If your site automatically signs a visitor out after being inactive for a certain amount of time, set the session timeout to match that length of time.
- Lengthen the session time if you have a lot of content and expect visitors to take a long time engaging with that content. Conversely, shorten the session time if the site has a small amount of content.
- Set the campaign timeout handling to the same amount of time the campaign is going to run or expected to be relevant. Clicks to a social media micro-campaign might not be relevant for more than a few days after launch.
Campaign timeout cannot be greater than 2 years. Sessions cannot be less than 1 minute or greater than 4 hours.
Change session and campaign timeout settings
These settings are applied in the admin settings of each property in your account. To change these settings:
- Navigate to a property. If you're not in the settings menu, click Admin. Select the account and property you want to edit.
- From the property column, click Tracking Info then Session Settings.
- Under Timeout Handling, use the controls to set Session timeout and Campaign timeout.
- Click Apply.