There are six reports: Overview, Locations, Traffic Sources, Content, Events, and Conversions. All display (from left to right):
- the number of visitors on the site right now,
- the number of hits during each of the most recent 30 minutes
- the number of hits during each of the most recent 60 seconds
The Overview shows the websites that referred the visitors who are on the site right now. It also shows the pages through which these visitors entered your site and their geographic locations. If you are running a 1-day campaign for example, you can see how many active visitors were referred by that campaign, whether they are coming in through the appropriate landing page(s) and their geographic locations.
- Top Social Traffic: Real-Time uses the same social referral groupings that are used in the Social Reports. This allows you to see all the social networks that refer traffic.
Use Locations to see the geographic locations of the visitors who are on your site now. You can also see how many pages were viewed from each city during the past 30 minutes.
Use Traffic Sources to see which mediums and sources referred the visitors who are on your site right now. This allows you to monitor the percentage of your active visitors who were referred by a specific site or campaign. For Universal Analytics views (profiles) in real-time, Campaign refers to the campaign that directly led to the current visit. This differs from standard reporting, where Campaign references the source campaign from the last 30 days, even if it did not directly lead to the current visit.
Use Content to see which pages have been viewed during the past 30 minutes. For example, you can see whether content you posted today is currently popular.
- Pageviews (Last 30 min): Above the table on this report, you’ll see an option to view the number of page views in addition the number of active visitors on each page. This is the total number of page views each of your pages have received during the past 30 minutes.
Use Events to see the real time firing of events. The table shows the top 20 event categories over the past 30 minutes, sorted by the number of visitors who have interacted with that event. The percentage of total visitors is also shown on each row. Clicking on a category adds the appropriate filter and provides a drill down to a table with action and label.
- Events (Last 30 min): Above the table on this report, you’ll see an option to view the number of events in addition the number of active visitors on each page. This is the total number of events each of your event categories has fired during the past 30 minutes.
Clicking on a category adds the appropriate filter. Note that only destination- and event-based goals are supported in real time reports.
- Goal Hits (Last 30 min): Above the table on this report, you’ll see an option to view the number of goals in addition the number of active visitors that have converted. This is the total number of conversions for each of your goals during the past 30 minutes.
Click on any dimension in the reports to apply a real-time segment based on that dimension. Alternatively, when viewing a specific report, type a value into the search box to add a real-time segment on that value. Segments persist as you click through the Real-Time reports. Note that standard Segments do not apply in Real-Time.
Real-Time dimensions and metrics are now available in dashboard widgets as well. Select the metrics you would like and add the widgets to your dashboard.