Configuring SEO data in Analytics
To see data in the Search Engine Optimization reports, you must enable Search Console (Search Console) data sharing for your web property:
- Sign in to your Analytics account.
- Select the Admin tab and navigate to the property in which you want to enable Search Console data sharing.
- In the PROPERTY column, click Property Settings.
- Scroll down to Search Console Settings. You should see the URL of your website, which confirms that the website is verified in Search Console and that you have permission to make changes. If you do not see the URL, you need to add your site to Search Console.
- Under Search Console Settings, select the reporting view(s) in which you want to see SEO data.
- Click Save.
Data Availability in Reports
Once you enable SEO reporting for your Analytics reports, any available historical SEO data for your website will appear in your reports. However, historical data in these reports is affected by two factors:
- The starting date of the Analytics view.
Once a website is set up correctly with Analytics tracking, one or more views can show report data for the site. For each view, the report data begins on the creation date for the view. Any data from before the view creation date is not available.
- The starting date of the Search Console collection for the website.
If you have Search Console data collection already set up, the SEO reports will display historical data back to the creation date of the view. If you have just enabled Search Console (Search Console) data collection for your site, data will appear in your reports within 24 hours of site verification. Search Console will show any data collected for that site, but historical data previous to site verification may not be available.
For example, consider the following scenario:
- Jan 1 — View A in Analytics set up for your website.
- Feb 1 — Search Console data collection set up for your website.
- March 1 — View B in Analytics set up for your website.
- April 1 — SEO reporting enabled for View A and View B.
In this case, the data availability for each view is as follows:
- View A — SEO data begins on Feb 1.
- View B — SEO data begins on March 1.