Set up a property
This article covers setting up a Web property. For information about setting up an App or App + Web property, see this article.
You need Edit permission on the account to add properties. To set up a property:
- Sign in to Google Analytics..
- Click Admin.
- In the ACCOUNT column, use the menu to select the account to which you want to add the property.
If you have a lot of accounts, use the search box to help you find the right one.
- In the PROPERTY column, click +Create Property.
If you don't have Edit permission on the account, you won't see the +Create Property option. Check that you've selected the correct account in the ACCOUNT column.
- Select Web.
- Enter a name for the property.
- Enter the website URL. Select the protocol (http or https). Enter the domain name, with no characters following the name (e.g., www.example.com, not www.example.com/).
Most domain hosts support only UTF-8 characters in URLs. Use either UTF-8 characters or punycode for symbols and any non-UTF-8 characters (including Cyrillic characters) in your domain name. Try a punycode converter for help with this.
- Select the industry category. Google uses this information when you choose to share benchmarking data.
- Select the reporting time zone. Analytics uses this as the day boundary for your reports regardless of where the data originates.
- Click Create.
- Accept the Analytics Terms of Service and the Data Processing Amendment if prompted, and click Finish.
Analytics displays your Global Site Tag, which you need to add to your web pages to collect data. Learn more
When you create a Web property, Analytics also creates the first reporting view, with the default name All Web Site Data.