Create customised reports with the Report Editor
With the Report Editor, you can choose the data in your report and how it’s presented, sort and filter the data as you see fit, and pick from a variety of formats to download or email your reports. The Report Editor lets you customise reports with ease so you can focus on the data that matters most to you.
This article goes over the different tasks you’ll need to do in the Report Editor as you create and build your reports.
Before you start
To use the Report Editor effectively, familiarise yourself with the Report Editor parts.
Select the AdWords experience that you're using. Learn more
How to create a report
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- In the top right-hand corner of your account, click the reporting icon , then select Reports.
- Click the plus button in the top left-hand corner of the page, then select Table, Line chart, Bar chart, Pie chart or Scatter chart.
- Drag tiles on to the canvas and drop them in one of the blue highlighted areas. The shelf automatically updates, and the canvas shows your data.
- If you have a manager account, you can view data for multiple accounts in the same report:
- Click the pencil icon next to 'All accounts' above the canvas.
- Select from the drop-down menu whether you want to view accounts by account name or account label.
- Select the box next to the accounts that you want to include in your report.
- Click Save. If you select more than one account, the canvas will show a preview of what the report will look like and some data will be greyed out. To view the data for all selected accounts, you’ll need to download the report.
- Now that you’ve created your report, you can start refining your analysis:
- To rearrange tiles, just drag and drop them inside the shelf.
- To change the date range for your report, use the date range selector in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- To remove a dimension or metric from your report, find the dimension or metric in the shelf and click the close button (X) next to its name.
- To view or edit the report at a later time, save the report. Learn how to open your saved reports.
How to sort table data
When you sort, nothing is removed or hidden from your table – your data is just reorganised. To sort a column, click on the column header:
- The first time that you click on the header, the column will be sorted in ascending order.
- The second time that you click on the header, the column will be sorted in descending order.
Sorting multiple columns helps you to organise your table to suit your needs. When sorting multiple columns, it’s important to remember that the order in which you sort the columns matters, so it can be helpful to think in terms of priorities. Try sorting the column with the least important information first, and the column with the most important information last. This way, the important data that you sort last will be the primary sorting column.
You can use report and table filters to hide data from your table that you don’t need to see.
Apply a report filter
- Click the filter icon in the top right-hand corner of the Report Editor, above the shelf.
- Click on the filter field that appears to see the filtering options.
- Choose a filtering option, and create your filter.
- Some report filters offer the option of selecting items from a list.
- Some report filters also offer the option for you to define the filter’s condition. For example, you could apply a report filter that only shows ads that received 1000 or more clicks.
- When you’ve finished creating your filter, click on Apply.
- Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 to add additional filters as needed. You’ll see all filters that you’ve created in the filter field.
To remove a report filter, click it in the filter field, and click the close button (X) next to its name.
Apply a table filter
- Click the filter icon in the column header. This opens the table filter window.
- Create your filter.
- If you’re applying a table filter to a metric, you’ll be able to define a condition to filter based on that metric. For example, you could filter by “Impressions” so your report only shows data for ads that got more than 1000 impressions.
- If you’re applying a filter to a dimension, such as the type of device where your ads were shown, you’ll be able to choose from a list.
- Click Apply. This adds the filter to the column.
To remove a table filter, click the filter icon in the column header, then click Remove filter.
How to change the report presentation
The Report Editor allows you to view your data as a table, line chart, pie chart, bar chart or scatter chart. Having multiple options for viewing data means that you get to choose the most effective way to analyze and present your account’s statistics. To switch from one option to another, click the table/chart drop-down menu above the Report Editor shelf and select an option.
While viewing your report as a table or a chart, you can save it by clicking either Save or Save as in the upper right corner of the page.
- Use Save As to create a new saved report based on the current report.
- Use Save to save your latest changes to a report that you’ve previously saved.
To find your saved reports, click the reporting icon , then click Reports. Simply click on any report to open it.
After you’ve created a report, you can download it by clicking the download icon in the top right-hand corner of the Reports page. You can download your report in a number of formats, including .csv and .xml.
How to schedule and share a report
In the Report Editor, you can schedule your reports to be emailed to you or other people who have access to your account at specific intervals.
- While viewing your report, click the email and schedule icon .
- Complete the following settings:
- Select one or more account users to send the report to.
- Choose the frequency (examples: daily, weekly) that the reports are sent and in what format (examples: .csv, .xml).
- Click Save. If you haven’t saved the report already, you’ll be prompted to save the report.