Create a video campaign with bumper ads
Bumper ads are a short video ad format that let you reach more customers and increase awareness about your brand by using a short, memorable message. With videos of 6 seconds or less, bumper ads let you reach people with bite-sized messages, while providing a minimal impact on their viewing experience. You can create bumper video campaigns in AdWords using the “Video” campaign type.
How it works
- Videos must be 6 seconds or shorter. Viewers can’t skip your ad.
- A view of your bumper ad won’t increment the video’s YouTube view count.
- Bumper ads use CPM (cost-per-thousand impression) bidding. Your pay each time your ad is shown 1,000 times.
- Bumper ads can help increase awareness about your brand. They often work well when run along with related TrueView ads. (Note: TrueView ads must be created in a separate campaign.) Learn more about TrueView campaigns
- The short format can be especially effective on mobile, when people are often watching videos on the go.
Below, we’ll walk you through how to set up a bumper video campaign in AdWords.
Before you begin
Before you set up a bumper video campaign, you should be familiar with video campaigns and video ad formats. Keep in mind that a bumper campaign can only contain bumper ads. You’ll need to create TrueView ads in a separate campaign.
Bumper campaigns require a video of 6 seconds or less, and the video must be hosted on YouTube.
Here are step-by-step instructions for creating bumper video ad campaigns:
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click Campaigns in the navigation panel, click +Campaign, and then select Video.
- For goals, select Brand awareness and reach, or create the campaign without a goal.
- Select Standard awareness - Drive reach, impressions, and views for a campaign subtype.
- Enter a campaign name.
- Set your budget. Choose networks, locations you want to target, the language of your customers, and any advanced settings.
- Set “Bidding strategy” to Maximum CPM.
- Enter an ad group name.
- Enter your Maximum CPM bid.
- Enter the URL of your YouTube video (the video must be 6 seconds or shorter) and follow the steps to create your video ad.
- Under "Create your video ad," select Bumper ad.
- Enter the video's final URL, display URL, and URL options.
- Choose whether you want to auto-generate the video's companion banner (recommended) or upload an image.
- Enter your ad name, then click Save and continue.