Drive More Calls to Your Business: Google Best Practices
Customer interaction can be carried out online, in-store or over the phone. Here are 10 tips for driving more business with call-only ads and call extensions in AdWords.
1. Determine if driving calls is your most valuable goal
- Decide if you want your ads to drive clicks and calls alongside one another, or just calls.
Why: If the value of calls relative to clicks is high enough, you may want to focus on driving calls exclusively using call-only ads.
2. Set up your call ads for success
- Write ad text that showcases your company's value and drives customers to call.
Why: Users need a compelling reason to dial their phone.
- Schedule ads that drive calls when you have someone there to answer.
Why: Don't waste your money and your users' time by generating a call you can't accept.
- Use aggregated AdWords call data to make more informed decisions about scheduling staff to answer those calls.
Why: Seeing your call lengths and frequencies can help inform how you staff and run your call center.
3. Measure the calls you receive
- Use Google forwarding numbers to track call conversions from your ads.
Why: This option provides you with details about the calls that you receive and allows you to track calls as online conversions.
- Track calls as conversions.
Why: Conversion tracking gives you important information that you can use to improve the performance of your call-only ads or call extensions.
- Track website call conversions.
Why: Not all users call right away - some people need more information from your website before picking up the phone. Regardless of when someone calls you, be sure that you capture that call as an online conversion.
4. Take steps to try to improve the performance of your call ads
- Understand the types of conversions your AdWords campaigns and keywords are driving.
Why: The trends that you notice can influence your strategy. Call-heavy campaigns and keywords may benefit from different bidding and messaging.
- Bid according to the value that calls deliver for you.
Why: You can do a better job maximizing AdWords return on investment by understanding a call's value.
- Optimize your website to receive calls - make sure phone numbers are prominently displayed on desktop and that they’re clickable on mobile.
Why: Optimizing your site itself can have a tremendous effect on your overall call volume, especially when users visit your site on their mobile phones.