About callout extensions
Promote unique offers to shoppers, like free shipping or 24-hour customer service with callout extensions. When customers see your ads, they get detailed information about your business, products, and services. This article gives an overview of callout extensions. For instructions, jump to Use callout extensions.
How they show
When your callout extension appears with your ad on a computer or mobile device, 2 to 6 callouts show in addition to the text of your ad. Callouts will show in a variety of ways depending on device and other factors. While callout extensions on a computer are separated by dots and listed on a single line, callouts on mobile and tablet devices wrap in paragraph form. Ads with callout extensions can show at the top and bottom of Google search results.
Here's what an ad with callouts might look like on a computer:
Free Shipping · 24-7 Customer Service · Price Matching
- Highlight or summarize your business offering: Promote popular or unique aspects of your business with a few words or a single phrase.
- Flexibility and customizablity: You can add callouts at the account, campaign, or ad group levels, allowing you to include both generic or detailed information within your ads. Specify the dates, days of the week, or times of day your callouts are eligible to show.
How callouts work
You can add callouts at the account, campaign, or ad group level. You choose where to add them, create the callout text, and schedule when you’d like them to appear.The order of your callouts, their length, and how they perform factor into how many callouts appear, and whether a callout will show for your ad.
A good rule of thumb is to provide more general information that’s applicable to your entire business, (like “24/7 phone support”) at the account and campaign levels, and provide more specific information (like “free gift wrapping”) at the ad group level. If you add callouts to an ad group that’s in a campaign that already has callouts, the ads in that ad group will use the ad group-level callouts (rather than the callouts you’ve attached to the campaign).
There's no cost to add callout extensions, but you'll be charged as usual for clicks on your ad.
Keep these tips in mind when creating or optimizing callouts:
- Be specific. Give customers detailed information so they can decide if you have what they’re looking for. Try "34 MPG max mileage" instead of "Great fuel economy."
- Add at the account level. Make sure you have extension coverage across all of your ads by adding extensions at the account level. Create account-level callouts that apply to your entire business (like “24/7 phone support”).
- Customize at lower levels. If you'd like to highlight offerings or features that are only applicable to certain parts of your business (like “free gift wrapping” or “pick-up service”), set up more granular callouts at the campaign and ad-group levels. Keep in mind that lower-level extensions always trump higher-level extensions, so callouts you’ve created at the account level won’t show if you add callouts at the campaign and/or ad group level.
- Pick the right format. Unlike structured snippet extensions, which showcase a complete group of products or services that your business provides, callout extensions should highlight individual aspects of your business in a few words or a short phrase.