Changing a conversion window
A conversion window is the period of time after a customer clicks your ad during which a conversion, such as a purchase, is recorded in AdWords.
In AdWords, you can edit the conversion window setting for any of the webpage, import, or phone call conversions you're tracking. For example, you can choose 7 days for a weeklong sale, or 30 days if you're measuring leads. It's up to you.
The conversion window setting is ideal for businesses that want more control when measuring their conversions, particularly businesses that sell products with a buying cycle that doesn't fit the default 30-day conversion window. If you set a longer conversion window, you'll also be able to see upper funnel keywords — those early in the path to a conversion — in search funnels reports.
Let's say you're advertising a weeklong promotion, and your customer needs to use the promotion within a week of clicking on an ad. You'd like to measure conversions for this promotion, so you adjust your conversion window to 7 days. By doing this, you have a better sense of your advertising's value within that short time frame.
Keep in mind: If you set your conversion window to 7 days, any conversion that happens more than 7 days after the click won't be recorded. This means it won't appear in search funnels.The time lag report will also be capped at 7 days, so you won't see how many conversions helped by AdWords happened during the next 7 days.
How it works
You can set different conversion windows for each of your webpage conversions, when you first create the conversion during setup or anytime after.
You also can change the conversion window as often as you'd like. Just remember that any changes apply to all conversions going forward. So, if you're using a 30-day conversion window and you change it to 10 days, the 10-day window will only apply to conversions recorded from that day forward.
Here's an example of how a conversion window would work if someone clicked your ad on March 1:
- March 1: Your conversion window is set to 30 days. Conversions between now and March 30 will be counted for this click.
- March 7: You change your conversion window to 10 days. Conversions before March 10 will be counted for this March 1 click.
- March 16: You change the conversion window again to 20 days. A March 13 conversion from this click, which wasn't counted within the last window, won't be retroactively counted. But future conversions before March 20 will be counted for the March 1 click.
Choose your window
Not sure what conversion window to choose? Check out a search funnels time lag report. (Click the link next to the conversion window setting.) This shows you how the time between people's ad clicks and conversions varies. Knowing this, you'll have a better idea of how long your conversion window should be.
If 75% of conversions happen between the 25th and 30th day after a click, you'll want to make sure you set a window for at least this long, or you might miss recording conversions.
Keep in mind that the search funnels time lag report reflects the time lag only for clicks on
google.com that lead to conversions. It doesn't show time lag for conversions attributed to clicks on Google Display Network or other search partners.
Effect on search funnels reports
Search Funnel reports will show the path to conversions within any window you choose. Here's how search funnels reports will show last-click conversions, assisted conversions, and assist clicks:
- Only last-click conversions that are within the conversion window you choose will be shown.
- Assist clicks and assisted conversions will be shown for 30-, 60-, and 90-day conversion windows, regardless of your conversion window setting. But the click that converted needs to be within the conversion window for these kinds of clicks to be shown.
You'll be given the opportunity to choose a conversion window whenever you create a new conversion. If you'd like to edit an existing conversion, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.
- Click the Tools tab.
- Select "Conversions."
- Find the conversion you'd like to edit.
- In the "Conversion window" column for that conversion, click the number. You can set it anywhere from 7 to 90 days.
Keep in mind
- You can set it anywhere from 7 to 90 days.
- If you don't use the conversion window, a 30-day default window will be applied to your conversions.
- Conversion Optimizer will count and optimize conversions for any window you choose.
- A conversion window can only be configured for webpage, import, and phone call conversions at this time.