Create custom columns
Why use custom columns?
Custom columns offer a convenient solution if you’re interested in seeing only part of the data for a metric. Custom columns also allow you to make your own metric based on existing metrics in AdWords. Here’s an example: Matthew’s business uses a metric called 'Mobile share of clicks', which is defined as mobile clicks divided by total clicks. There's no column for this in the Campaigns page, so Matthew decides to create his own custom column:
- First, he names the column 'Mobile clicks' and adds a description: 'This column calculates mobile clicks divided by total clicks'. The description will help other users on his account understand what the column displays.
- Then, he selects the Clicks metric and adds the Device > Mobile phones segment to it so it only shows clicks from mobile devices.
- He adds ÷ and adds the Clicks metric again, which represents the total number of clicks.
- Finally, he saves the new column.
Now Matthew can view this metric in the Campaigns page any time he needs to.
Follow the steps below to create a custom column.
Select the AdWords experience that you're using. Learn more
If you have a certain metric that you'd like to see reported in a custom column, you can create it using the formula builder.
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Campaigns or Ad groups tab.
- Click the Columns drop-down menu, and then select Modify columns.
- Select the Custom Columns category on the left.
- If you’ve never created a custom column, a dialogue box is displayed. Go to the next step.
- If you’ve already created a custom column, click on +Column.
- In the "Column name" field, enter the name of your new column. This name will be displayed in the column header.
- In the “Column description” field, enter a description for your column. The text that you enter here will be displayed whenever someone hovers over the ? icon next to the column name.
- Select a metric, such as clicks or impressions.
- (Optional) You can also use a particular segment of the metric that you've chosen. For example, to show mobile clicks, click the drop-down menu on Clicks, select Device and click the () icon next to 'Mobile devices with full browsers'.
- Use the drop-down menus and mathematical operators (+, -, x and ÷) to build your formula.
- Choose the kind of formatting that you'd like for the column contents: Number, Percent or Currency.
- When you've completed your formula, click Save.
- Click Apply to add your column to your statistics table.
Just like standard AdWords columns, custom columns can be filtered, sorted, downloaded and used to customise your performance summary chart above your statistics table. Learn how to customise your tables and charts.