Using a backup credit card
Life is unpredictable. Sometimes, a credit card can be, too. That's why having a backup credit card can save the day - and your ads.
A backup credit card serves as a safety net. If your primary form of payment doesn't work for some reason, we'll charge your costs to your backup credit card. This ensures that your ads keep running.
You can use a backup credit card if you're using the automatic payment setting (you pay after your ads run). Follow the steps to add a backup payment below.
Set up a backup form of payment
- Sign in to your account at http://adwords.google.co.uk
- Click the gear icon and choose Billing, and then click the Billing settings link.
- In the Your selections section, click Add a new form of payment.
- Fill in your payment information, then click Save.
- When you're directed back to the Billing settings page, find the credit card that you just added and click the Select as... drop-down menu.
- Select Backup.
- Click Save.
- A backup credit card will be charged only if your primary form of payment doesn't work.
- You can designate a credit or debit card as a backup, but not a bank account.
- Learn about automatic payments.