Using a backup credit card
- A backup credit card serves as a safety net. If your primary payment method doesn't work for some reason, we'll charge your costs to your backup credit card. This ensures that your ads keep running.
- You can use a backup credit card if you're using the automatic payment setting (you get charged after your ads run).
Follow the steps to add a backup payment below.
Set up a backup payment method
- Sign in to your account at https://adwords.google.com
- Click the gear icon and choose Billing, and then click the Billing settings link.
- In the Your selections section, click Add a new payment method.
- Fill out your payment information, then click Save.
- When you're directed back to the Billing settings page, find the credit card you just added and click the Select as... drop-down menu.
- Select Backup.
- Click Save.
- A backup credit card will be charged only if your primary payment method doesn't work.
- You can designate a credit or debit card as a backup, but not a bank account.