Using a backup credit card
- A backup credit card serves as a safety net. If your primary payment method doesn't work for some reason, we'll charge your costs to your backup credit card. This ensures that your ads keep running.
- You can use a backup credit card if you're using the automatic payment setting (you get charged after your ads run).
Follow the steps to add a backup payment below.
Set up a backup payment method
- Sign in to your Adwords account.
- Click the gear icon and choose Billing. Go to Billing
- Click the Billing settings link.
- In the "Your selections" section, click Add a new payment method.
- Fill out your payment information, then click Save.
- When you're directed back to the "Billing settings" page, find the credit card you just added and click the Set as Back up link.
- A backup credit card will be charged only if your primary payment method doesn't work.
- You can designate a credit card or (in most countries) a debit card as a backup, but not a bank account.
Was this article helpful?