Google provides translated versions of our Help Centre as a convenience, though they are not meant to change the content of our policies. The English version is the official language we use to enforce our policies. To view this article in a different language, use the language drop-down at the bottom of the page.
In August 2021, Google will update the Financial products and services policy to clarify the scope and requirements to allow the advertisement of cryptocurrency related business and services.
From 3 August, advertisers offering Cryptocurrency Exchanges and Wallets targeting the United States may advertise those products and services when they meet the following requirements and are certified by Google. To be certified by Google, advertisers will need to:
- Be duly registered with
- (a) FinCEN as a Money Services Business and with at least one state as a money transmitter; or
- (b) a federal or state chartered bank entity.
- Comply with relevant legal requirements, including any local legal requirements, whether at a state or federal level.
- Ensure that their ads and landing pages comply with all Google Ads policies
All prior Cryptocurrency Exchange certifications will be revoked on 3 August 2021. Advertisers must request new Cryptocurrency Exchanges and Wallets certification with Google when the application form is published on 8 July 2021.
The following is not allowed:
Ads for initial coin offerings, DeFi trading protocols or otherwise promoting the purchase, sale or trade of cryptocurrencies or related products
- Examples (non-exhaustive): ICO pre-sales or public offerings, cryptocurrency loans, initial DEX offerings, token liquidity pools, celebrity cryptocurrency endorsements, unhosted wallets, unregulated DApps
Ad destinations that aggregate or compare issuers of cryptocurrencies or related products
- Examples (non-exhaustive): Cryptocurrency trading signals, cryptocurrency investment advice, aggregators or affiliate sites containing related content or broker reviews
As a reminder, we expect all advertisers to comply with the local laws for any area that their ads target. This policy will apply globally to all accounts that advertise these financial products. For more details, see About restricted financial products certification.
(Posted June 2021)