Google provides translated versions of our Help Center as a convenience, though they are not meant to change the content of our policies. The English version is the official language we use to enforce our policies. To view this article in a different language, use the language dropdown at the bottom of the page.
Image extensions are ad extensions that allow you to upload rich, relevant images to complement your existing text ads. With compelling visuals of products or services that enhance the message of your text ad, image extensions can help drive performance for your ads.
- Image extensions perform best when closely relevant to queries within the ad group or campaign.
- Images should convey useful information to the searcher and match the experience they will find on your landing page.
- Put your important content in the center 80% of the image.
To ensure that we provide a high-quality consumer ad experience, Image extensions must comply with all Google Ads and personalization policies. In addition, we will review each Image extension for compliance with the Image extension requirements listed below, which will take priority in the event there is conflict with the Google Ads and personalization policies.The image extension requirements are more restrictive than the ads requirements for other platforms and surfaces, meaning disapproved image extensions may continue to run on Google’s other owned and operated properties.
Performance of an image extension may depend on image quality and relevance to the associated keywords and ads in your Google Ads account. Images should highlight the actual product experience and conform to the requirements outlined below.
By participating in the image extension beta, you confirm and acknowledge that:
- You (the advertiser) own all legal rights to publish images and to share those images with Google.
- You hereby instruct Google to publish the shared images on your behalf for advertising purposes.
- Your shared images and content complies with all Google Ads policies and the image extension beta requirements outlined below.
- You are participating in a beta and requirements are subject to change at any time and for any purpose
|Image Resolution||PNG, JPG, static GIF|
Note: you can crop images using the image picker during implementation
|Maximum File Size||5120 KB|
|Recommended image safe area||Place the most important content in the center 80% of the image.|
Image extension requirements
Images with brand logos or brand logos being used as the image asset
Images with excessive whitespace or the focus of the image is proportioned such that the product or service offering cannot be recognized
Images that are collaged or combined together in post production
Allowed with limitations
- Images of naturally occurring collages, including but not limited to, scrapbooks, greeting cards, printing catalogues, or yearbooks
Images that are blurry, unclear, unrecognizable
Images that are visually skewed or warped in a way that makes the subject of the asset difficult to understand
Images that are cropped in a way that makes the subject of the asset difficult to distinguish
Images with nudity, including nudity used for artistic purposes
Sexually suggestive images
Allowed with limitations
- Images for modeled clothing are allowed if there is good coverage and the model is not showing excessive skin
- Images that contain lingerie and bathing suits are allowed if they are pictured as a flat lay or on a mannequin