Optimize the ad balance on your site
We understand that improving the user experience of your site, while still maintaining and growing your revenue, is a tough balance to strike. Ad balance controls help you reduce the number of ads you show to users, specifically the ads that earn you the least revenue, and see how it affects your earnings.
Typically, the bulk of your revenue comes from a relatively small portion of your ad impressions. By only showing the ads that make you the most money, you can improve the overall visitor experience on your site for a minimal drop in your earnings.
Let's say you only want to allow 70% of potential ads to show on your site instead of the default 100%. On the "Ad balance" page, you use the slider to set your ad fill rate to 70%. Ad fill rate is how often we fill the available ad units on your site with ads. A 70% ad fill rate means we'll fill your ad units up to 70% of the time with the highest-paying ads. You can now check the "Estimated earnings" field to see the revenue impact (based on your historical earnings data).
How to set your ad balance
To set your ad balance, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your AdSense account.
- If you haven't already, opt in to the new AdSense user interface.
- In the left navigation panel, click My ads.
- Click Ad balance.
- On the "Ad balance" page use the slider to reduce the number of ads and see the estimated impact this has on your revenue.
- Click Apply.
We'll now fill your ad units with the highest-paying ads up to your new ad fill rate.
Note that when determining which ads earn you the most and least revenue, we treat the following equally:
- bid types (CPC, CPM, etc.)
- ad units (except for a few special cases such as link units or Matched content units).