AdSense for video (AFV)
AdSense for video and games best practices and optimization tips
The best way to optimize your AdSense earnings is to keep your account in good standing. To do that, you should ensure that your implementation complies to the general AdSense program policies, as well as the product specific policies.
However, there are some simple best practices that we suggest you follow to maximize your account earnings. Specifically:
- Use accurate metadata. The “descriptionUrl” parameter of the ad request acts like additional crawlable HTML for contextual ad selection. The content that you provide through this parameter has a huge impact on how wide the selection of ads competing in the auction is. You should include full sentences of description of the video/game and your service. A good description URL would look something like the following:
<html>Please visit the IMA technical quick start guide for additional details on how to use it.
<title>Flash Attack | ExampleGamesPublisher.com</title>
<p>Flash attack is a game where players must navigate through the maze in the least amount of time. There are multiple modes of play including relay mode, versus mode, and time trial. Play against your friends!</p>
<p>ExampleGamesPublisher has been in business since 2002 providing high-quality online flash games to users around the world! We provide free games as well as premium, subscription-only games for users who want to earn points to spend on cool digital prizes!</p>
<h2>Flash Attack Game Tags</h2>
<p>Users use these tags to search for games on our website:</p>
- Use thematic channels. When we create your AdSense for video/games account, we also create a set of thematic channels. You will see them in your AdSense interface if you visit the My ads tab, choose the product in the sidebar and click Custom channels. These channels are the same ones that YouTube advertisers use, and since they often look for ways to extend their reach beyond YouTube, you could easily have access to a broader set of ads just by using the appropriate channels. Remember that you need to explicitly associate each of your ad requests to the set of channels that are relevant to your content. Please visit the technical quick start guide page for guidance on how to configure your ad request for using channels.
- Use all ad formats. The IMA SDK allows you to request different types of ads. For a complete overview of the available formats please visit the AdSense for video/games product introductory pages. We recommend that you utilize all different ad formats, for example:
- If you are an AdSense for video publisher, you could request a pre-roll video ad to play before the video content, overlay ads that appear for the entire duration of the video, and fullslot ads to play at the end of the video (endcap format).
- If you are an AdSense for games publisher, you could request video ads in your first request, then, if your video request is not fulfilled, backfill with fullslot ads. In general, video ads have a higher eCPM compared to fullslot ads.
- Set up channels to enhance reporting. Channels enable you to view detailed reporting about the performance of specific pages and ad units. By assigning a channel to a combination of pages or ad units, you could track the performance of a leaderboard versus a banner, or compare your motorcycle pages to your automobile pages. Please visit our help center for more information about channels.