To monetize a site with AdSense, you should have unique and valuable content and provide a good user experience. Explore our tips here.
Provide enough unique content
For your site to be ready to show AdSense ads, make sure that your pages have enough unique content so that we can determine what your site is about.
You should provide content that gives your users a reason to visit and return to your site. When you create content, it’s important to ask yourself if it provides substantial value and originality when compared to other sites covering similar subjects, as this will attract more visitors to your site. Tools such as Google Trends can give you a feel for what people are interested in so you can tailor your content. Google Analytics includes many free tools that can help you to build a more complete picture of your users and identify areas where you could improve your content marketing. For more information, visit our AdSense blog post on creating outstanding website content in 3 steps.
Additionally, make sure that you update your site regularly. Continually adding new and unique content will keep your site fresh and generate more returning visitors.
Also, don't forget to make sure that your content adheres to the Webmaster guidelines. The Webmaster guidelines recommend that you do not use cloaking and doorway pages, pages with little to no content, or pages optimized for specific keywords or phrases.
Make certain that there’s no duplicate content
- Sites that copy and republish content from other sites without adding any original content or value
- Sites that copy content from other sites, modify it slightly (for example, by substituting synonyms or using automated techniques), and republish it
- Sites dedicated to embedding content such as video, images, or other media from other sites without substantial added value to the user
Be careful when using external resources such as external articles or embedded videos. It's important that you contribute your own original content, whether it's specialist knowledge, improvement ideas, reviews, or your personal thoughts. Check that the content on your site is unique and that fragments are not copied from other sites. Also ensure that the same content is not duplicated in the same page or across multiple pages of your site.
If you have many pages that are similar or have very similar content, consider expanding each page or consolidating the pages into one. Also, try to minimize repeating long segments of text in different pages of your site, for example, instead of including lengthy copyright text on the bottom of every page, include a very brief summary and then link to a page with more details. You can use the Parameter Handling tool to specify how you would like Google to treat URL parameters.
For more tips, review our guide on how to avoid creating duplicate content.
Build a good user experience with navigational elements
Providing original content is only one component of creating a high-quality site. Your content should also be informative and organized in a manner that's easy for users to navigate. Consider the arrangement of the elements (text, images, etc.) on your pages. Your layout should look inviting and visitors should be able to easily find what they're looking for.
An accessible, easy-to-use navigation bar (or menu bar) is a key part of providing a good user experience. When building your navigation bar, consider the following points:
- Alignment - Are all the navigational elements lined up correctly across all devices?
- Readability - Is the text content on your site easy to read?
- Functionality - Do your drop-down lists work correctly? Are all navigational elements clickable?
- Accuracy - Are the elements bringing the user to the right content?
After you've added unique content to your site, don’t forget to organize it. We recommend that you structure and organize your content as follows:
- Add navigational elements to the menu bar and organize your content by topic, category, etc. This will help users to better understand and navigate your site.
- Avoid repeating the same content in multiple categories or pages of your site or creating multiple pages or sites with content taken from other sources.
- Make sure that your site provides the information and service promised and does not have links that lead to:
- False claims of downloadable or streaming content
- Missing pages
- Irrelevant or misleading pages
- Text on a page not related to the theme or business model of the site
- Ensure that your site appears correctly in different browsers.
We recommend visiting our AdSense blog post on refining your website’s user experience in 3 steps.
Submit your site for review
Lastly, don’t forget to review the AdSense Program policies to ensure that the content on your site is compliant with our policies.
Building a high-quality site takes effort and time. When you’ve addressed the above points, submit your site for review through the Sites page in your Adsense account. The review process usually takes a few days and you’ll be notified about the review results through your AdSense account.