Call GPT early
Request the GPT library as early as possible to give the browser time to fetch and execute the dependent libraries (for example,
pubads.js). In some cases, loading GPT sooner may have limited gains if many higher priority requests or blocking resources are requested between the time GPT and pubs are requested.
Use asynchronous mode with single request architecture (SRA)
Asynchronous mode enables your content and ads to load independently, instead of loading content and ads together in sequence. Each ad renders within an iframe that’s reserved on the page until the ad is ready to display. If a creative is slow in loading, your content does not need to wait. Learn about GPT request and rendering modes
With single request architecture (SRA), all ad requests for a page view are sent to Ad Manager at one time from the header of your content, which can improve your page’s loading speed.
Place tags directly on the page
Use AMP and serve mobile-optimized creatives
Creative latency is one of the biggest causes of poor ad performance. Avoid heavy creatives; follow industry guidelines such as on pages 5-6 of the IAB Mobile Advertising Guidelines (PDF).
Practice good page performance
Overall page performance can have a large impact on ad latency.
- Use fewer separate CSS resources, and make the ones you do use smaller.
- Make sure not to load CSS resources that are not used by the page.
- Use media queries on your CSS links to ensure that only CSS relevant to the target device/mode is being downloaded. (for example, separate portrait orientation, landscape orientation, and print resources, and use media queries to ensure that only the orientation for the current device mode is downloaded).
- Focus on above-the-fold content; on mobile devices, bandwidth is limited. Downloading too much at once can cap out bandwidth and cause assets to download slower than usual
When GPT determines that a page is not visible, it only requests and renders above-the-fold ads. This is so that:
- Ad slots visible in the first viewport will not be blank rectangles if/when the page becomes visible.
- Signals need for pageview counting are still sent correctly.
Simplify the DOM structure
<div> tag where ad needs to show is part of the DOM. We recommend maintaining a simple HTML structure with few DOM elements, so that the ad call can be made as soon as possible.