SSB allows an HLS player to make a direct HTTP request to the Dynamic Ad Insertion (DAI) system, where Ad Manager tracks and reports on video stream metrics based on estimates. Any player should be able to play an SSB stream, however feature support is limited.
You can use the information below to see how to activate and request streams using SSB for either video on demand (VOD), or live linear streams.
Video on demand
Access an SSB stream URL for VOD
VOD streams can only be accessed with an SSB if:
- The Ad Manager content source is not configured to support mid-rolls, and
- The Ad Manager content source specifically activates server-side tracking
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Video Content sources, and open a source.
- Click next to "Dynamic ad insertion".
- The "Server-side tracking" setting is either enabled or disabled.
HLS stream URL example for VOD (contains the content ID and video ID)
DASH stream URL example for VOD (contains the content ID and video ID)
Live linear streams are always accessible using an SSB stream URL.