The "Mute This Ad" feature provides users with the ability to close or to stop seeing ads and signal which ads aren’t interesting to them. The feature has benefits for everyone:
- Users: Greater control over their ad experiences
- Advertisers: No longer pay to show ads to people who aren't interested
- Publishers: More relevant ads for users, higher site satisfaction, and greater user engagement
How "Mute This Ad" works
"Mute This Ad" is a small overlay that appears in the top right corner of a creative. It allows a user to specify they no longer want to see an ad, and tries not show the user the same ad, or a similar ad, again. Visual features, advertiser, and ad landing page are all contributors to ad similarity.
To mute an ad, users:
Sometimes, Google will not be able to provide a "Stop seeing this ad" option, and will provide an option to "Report this ad" instead.
After a user mutes an ad, that same ad may be shown to the user again. This can happen under any of the following circumstances, among others:
- A user clears cookies
- A user visits a website outside the Google Display Network
- The advertiser is using another company to show the same ad
- Google’s advertising systems don’t recognize the user’s device as being signed in
- The user selected "Ad blocked view" to report a problem with the ad's position, rather than its content
The "Mute This Ad" feature is available for certain creatives served by Google Ads and Display & Video 360. While you have the ability to turn off the option for creatives when served though Ad Manager, it cannot be turned off for creatives served through Google Ads or Display & Video 360.
If a user is signed in to their Google account and have Ad personalization turned on, ads that have been muted by the user will be muted across all of their signed-in devices. Muted ads may still serve to users that have Ad personalization turned off.
For Ad Manager, "Mute This Ad" is:
- Applied by default to line items from which muted image creatives served through Ad Manager.
- Only available for image creatives and not other creatives types served though Ad Manager.
- Not applied to any creatives served via 100% sponsorship campaigns through Ad Manager.
To turn off the option to "Mute This Ad" for image creatives served through Ad Manager:
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Admin Global settings Network settings.
- Select Mute this ad.
You can run a report in Reporting for "Mute This Ad" using a historical report. Specific metrics include:
- Total mute eligible impressions: The number of impressions that had the "Mute This Ad" overlay applied
- Total muted impressions: The number of impressions where the user chose to mute the ad
Reporting for "Mute This Ad" extends across Google Ads, Display & Video 360, and Ad Manager.