Overview of VPAID creatives
VPAID (Video Player-Ad Interface Definition) is an IAB standard that allows a video ad and a video player to communicate with each other. VPAID defines a uniform run-time environment so that a compliant player can accept any compliant advertisement from any other party. Ad Manager supports VPAID 2.0 in HTML5.
VPAID creatives should be used in a VAST ad, and they require a VAST template, either 3.0 or 2.0. VPAID is necessary for rich media ads that are displayed concurrently in a video player. For example, suppose you have an interactive overlay ad that should interrupt video content playback when the user interacts with the ad.
Benefits of VPAID creatives
- Allows interactive elements in video ads in a video player.
- Allows the ad to request that the video player pause the content.
- Allows the ad to update the video player when the ad finishes, so that the player can resume the video content.
- Allows the video player to override when an ad takes too long to load. In this case, VPAID stops the ad and unpauses video content.
- Allows the resizing of the ad (VPAID 2).
Set up VPAID
In order to allow VPAID ads serving to the IMA SDK to interrupt the video content, you need to handle the following events for the ads manager (HTML5):
In addition, you need to choose the allowed security level for VPAID creatives using
google.ima.settings.setVpaidMode, as explained here. Note that VPAID security mode can affect some creatives' ability to render properly.
Create a VAST ad with a VPAID creative
Ad Manager supports trafficking VPAID 2 HTML5 creatives through VAST video redirects only.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Delivery Creatives Creative sets New creative set.
- Select your advertiser, choose Video VAST, specify sizes, and click Continue.
- Enter your creative set name and click Redirect.
- Enter the creative details, including the VAST tag URL, and click Test to test it.
- Enter a Duration. This value should match the duration of the video assets, within two seconds.
- Enter third-party tracking URLs.
- Enter information about companion creatives.
- Click Save.
Event tracking should be handled by the creative.