VPAID (Video Player-Ad Interface Definition) is an IAB standard that allows a video ad and a video player to communicate with each other. VPAID defines a uniform run-time environment so that a compliant player can accept any compliant advertisement from any other party. Ad Manager supports VPAID 2.0 in HTML5.
Learn more on the IAB site.
VPAID creatives should be used in a VAST ad, and they require a VAST template, either 3.0 or 2.0. VPAID is necessary for rich media ads that are displayed concurrently in a video player. For example, suppose you have an interactive overlay ad that should interrupt video content playback when the user interacts with the ad.
Benefits of VPAID creatives
- Allows interactive elements in video ads in a video player.
- Allows the ad to request that the video player pause the content.
- Allows the ad to update the video player when the ad finishes, so that the player can resume the video content.
- Allows the video player to override when an ad takes too long to load. In this case, VPAID stops the ad and unpauses video content.
- Allows the resizing of the ad (VPAID 2).
Set up VPAID
In addition, you need to set the
Create a VAST ad with a VPAID creative
Ad Manager supports trafficking VPAID 2 HTML5 creatives through VAST video redirects only.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Delivery Creatives Creative sets New creative set.
- Select your advertiser, choose Video VAST, specify sizes, and click Continue.
- Enter your creative set name and click Redirect.
- Enter the creative details, including the VAST tag URL, and click Test to test it.
- Enter a Duration. This value should match the duration of the video assets, within two seconds.
- Enter third-party tracking URLs.
- Enter information about companion creatives.
- Click Save.
Event tracking should be handled by the creative.