You can traffic anchor ads that appear at the top or bottom of your mobile web pages, remaining in view as the user scrolls. Anchor ads allow you to improve the monetization of your mobile web pages, using a high-performing, mobile-first format that is compliant with the Better Ads Standards. Users can collapse an anchor ad at any time by clicking the arrow. The publisher is responsible for ensuring there's no occlusion for anchor ads.
- Although web anchors use the 320x50 size for targeting and line item eligibility, we allow programmatic servings to increase this size. Anchor slots allow for ads to use the full-screen width (portrait orientation only) of the user’s device while adhering to a 320x80 aspect ratio.
- Mobile web support for anchor ads includes tablets.
Top anchor ads
A top anchor ad is initially hidden to ensure menus at the top of the page aren’t covered. An anchor ad appears as the user scrolls, but space is reserved at the very top of the page. This way, if the user scrolls back to the top, page content won’t be covered.
Bottom anchor ads
Bottom anchor ads appear as soon as the ad has been fetched. They don’t require padding (as top anchor ads do) because scrolling back up won’t cause content to be covered by the ad.
- Add the
BOTTOM_ANCHORslot type to your mobile web page, ideally within the
- Display the ad slot as you would any other ad slot.
defineOutOfPageSlot()may return null if the page doesn’t support the format
See more tagging details in the developer documentation.
- Add the
In the future, we may add support for anchors on other devices, such as desktop. Therefore, consider targeting Mobile phones and Tablets in “Device category” now to prevent unintended delivery in the future.
- Create ad units (or use existing ones) for anchor slots. To streamline trafficking, include the size 320x50.
- Create line items:
- For reserved inventory: Target mobile anchor ad inventory as you would any other type of inventory. Creatives must have the size 320x50. Note that you can target line items by Inventory format, with “Anchor” as an option.
- For non-reserved inventory: Include the relevant ad unit in the Ad Exchange line item. Include the size 320x50 in the associated placeholder creative.
Use the “Inventory format” dimension to see how anchor ads are performing compared to other formats.